Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 9 hotfixes / updates

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks,

Your resident dinosaur, here. I'm going to be getting a new machine pretty soon, and will be installing my tried-and-true, never-lets-me-down, AC9 on it.

As I recall, there were several hotfixes in 9, and we used to be able to download them right from GS. I can't find that page with the list of hotfixes. Can anybody point me to where those reside?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
The page with the hot fixes is here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/archive.html#old

But strangely it does not show any updates for AC09
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ejrolon,

Thanks for the link... Hmm.. No updates for AC9. Indeed.

Obviously a conspiracy. <g>

My boxed set of discs is marked: AC9-USA-C1501 R1/V1.

I'm pretty sure there was at least one hotfix for version 9, because I ran it the last time I installed it. I'll have to check some of my archive drives and see if I saved them somewhere.

It's strange that they don't seem to acknowledge the best-operating version of AC they ever wrote.

Graphisoft people... You seeing this message?

Can you help me out, or am I going to be abandoned like the last time I asked an AC9 question?

Bueller?.... Bueller??
Karl Ottenstein
Dave,

My memory is that you can zip the AC 9 folder on one computer and move it to another. While this approach typically doesn't work on Windows (pretty much always works on Mac in contract) - I do recall that it works fine with AC, at least old versions.

Also... I'm not positive, but I believe that the 'converter' version of AC 9 is the most up-to-date version... less the AC 9 library. So, you can also grab that version of 9 and copy your library folder (and maybe Documentation folder) from your old machine. The INT and USA versions can be downloaded here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/fileconverter.html

Cheers,
Karl

PS If your new machine has an OS newer than XP on it, you'll likely run into some issues. the "Pro" version of Win 7 lets you run old software like 9 in an XP mode. Windows 7 issues here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows%207

If the new machine has Windows 8 or 8.1, then see:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/Windows8
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

Thanks very much... I'll take a look at those links.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

I retrieved the AC9 USA version from the first link. It does indeed have the familiar-looking name of an AC install.

So, are you saying that that ZIP file is basically the final build of AC9, and they're just using the term 'converter' as a colloquialism? If that's so, then it appears I'm good to go - please confirm on that, though.

Also.. To answer your other concern; The new machine will be running XP Pro, SP3 loaded from my official Microsoft discs. I've had my machines custom built by Xi Computers for the last 10 years or so, and they tailor them to exactly what I'm running; No matter what the rest of the world is doing.

Libraries are no problem - I only use a handful of the AC objects. Most of them I've already customized and saved to my own folders, along with ones I've written myself over the years.

Thanks Karl!! Now I can continue to sit back and watch the arms race from my porch, having a beer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

One last thing... Would it be wise to install AC9 from my factory discs, which would install the library and documentation, then run the later file I just downloaded as an update?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl,

I took a look in the ZIP. It has everything in it, documentation, libray, add-ons; the whole shootin' match.

Just wanted to let you know to save you the trouble of looking. Being the thorough guy you are, I know you likely would.

Thanks again!
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Dave. That's great to know (library/etc included). The last time I downloaded the converter was a few years ago when it was first posted, and libraries weren't included then. Wasn't sure about add-ons either... so that's great that the whole ball of wax is there. 🙂

I believe the download is the best bet, as I do recall there being updates to the AC 9 libraries, as well as core program... so the download should contain the final releases for everything.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Following up...

As you can see from my sig line, I've got my new machine up and running! Ended up spending about a day and a half getting all my software installed, updated and back the way I had it on my old machine. Not too bad.

Here's what I did with AC:

Installed 9 and 12 from the factory discs.

Ran the hotfixes I'd saved previously (which I managed to find on my old machine).

Everything seems to be working perfectly. Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for the help on making decisions, etc.

This machine is silent.. and it's about 30% faster building sections and elevations, which is pleasing. SSD's are nice peace of mind... No moving parts. Awesome.