Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 9 on a Pentium M

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am looking at buying a notebook PC and don't know whether to buy a pentium 4 or a pentium M.

Has anyone used Archicad 9 on a pentium M.

This one is the pentium M 730 (1.6 MHz) with 512 RAM and a NVIDIA GEFORCE(TM) GO 6200 graphics card.

Is this good enough?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
We have one workstation with a regular 1.6 ghz and 512Mb, and ArchiCad 9 works very slow on that computer. Sometimes you'll have to wait up to 5 minutes but you maybe like studing timeglass?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
As far as I know the Pentium M processor is much faster at the same clock speed. It is a different design.
The latest review I read was about a 2.1 GHz Pentium M processor, which performed about as fast as a 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor. You should check such reviews yourself.
Pentium M processors have a much lower power consumption than Pentium 4 processors, that's another good point.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have 8.1 on my IBM laptop with Pentium M @ 1,9 GHz. At home I have 8.1 AND 9 on a desktop Pentium 4 @ 3,0 GHz and a 5600 GT graphics processor. There is no difference in working speed as long as I use the open GL engine, even on the laptop. The internal AC graphics engine is a mess.

Cheers Alex
Erika Epstein
Booster
Alex_L wrote:
The internal AC graphics engine is a mess.

Cheers Alex
What do you mean by 'a mess'? Are the problems more than it is just very slow to render and if so what? Could you elaborate please.
Thanks
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,
when using the internal Graphics Engine it's not only slow, the presentation of the building is even useless as the resolution changes to squares of about 4mm while turning. Doing this operation, the picture stalls for several seconds and then moves forward to stall again.
I hope I could express it in an understandable way

As explained before, the behavior is the same on an IBM ThinkPad with Pentium M and on a desktop Pentium 4 with an 6500GT graphic processor.
It is even the same on AC 8.1 and 9.
Cheers Gerhard
Erika Epstein
Booster
Interesting problem. I notice it has even chnged your name from Alex to Gerhard!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Djordje
Ace
Alex_L wrote:
when using the internal Graphics Engine it's not only slow, the presentation of the building is even useless as the resolution changes to squares of about 4mm while turning.
For interactive 3D, use the OpenGL mode. Your video system should have good OpenGL cpabilities, it si a lot of work - as you can see with the struggling internal engine ...

If you insist on using the internal engine, clever marqueeing is usually the answer.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Erika,
One shouldn't do 2 things simultaneously!
I'm still Alex but during posting I was talking to Gerhard and stupid enough wrote down his name!
Anyway, isn't it a nice name either?.....

Cheers ALEX