BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad crashing on Lenovo Y540 (i7-9750H / 16GB / RTX 2060 / SSD)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!

I just upgraded to a Lenovo Y540 laptop with the following specs:

- Intel® Core™ i7-9750H (2.6GHz; 12MB Cache)
- 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6
- 128GB SSD PCIe + 1TB HDD (5400rpm)

The software is installed on the SSD and it has >35 GB of free space. I am running Archicad 21 (Student license).

The problem: almost every time I try to render something, the memory goes to 99%, the system frozen and, in the cases when it comes back to normal, I receive an alert saying that the computer doesn't have enough memory.

That what happens most of the time. But sometimes it just goes as expected without any problems.

I used to work with a worse computer (very worse!) and something like that had never occurs.

(It's in Portuguese. A literal translation would be: "Your computer doesn't have enough memory to do this operation.")

I know that besides all fancy hardware names a laptop would never had the same perfomance of a desktop computer, but I am a student and mobility it's mandatory for me. My files don't have more than 40 MB, so this situation is very strange.

Here's a log with the memory crash:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U9cvb3n2BDiXgfw9P9OelJpULn-C0-3B/view?usp=sharing

Thank you.
1 REPLY 1
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Your laptop is just fine, it has strong enough CPU, enough RAM, strong GPU, SSD system drive, so that is not the problem.

Probably one of your Rendering Settings is causing RAM usage to skyrocket and you run out of RAM.
One such candidate may be the Grass settings. Try to set it to lower, less dense, or turn it off altogether to see if that handles the issue.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!