Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Attribute manager critical bug AC23 [LOST DATA]

runxel
Legend
Beware! There is a critical bug in the attribute manager which will lead to LOST DATA if you do not realize this on the spot.
Let's say you want to exchange your layers:
Easy enough, you might think, just go into the AM and get the layers you want from the left into the right pane. However: "append" and "by name" are broken commands. Only "by index" works reliable.
If you use the others, the first layer will always be converted to the ARCHICAD-layer. If you realize there is some f*ckery going on and try to get the missing layer in again, you will notice that the name gets an "(1)" slapped on, meaning there is already an item with the same name (you can't rename this one back btw!).
But if you try to append the ARCHICAD layer back to the left, you will notice, it does not retain the original name – it's in some kind of limbo state where it does not have that name anymore but also doesn't allow to have another item bearing it.

The workaround is either:
- only using "by index"
- always selecting the ARCHICAD layer as well, if you appending from left to right

Hopefully Graphisoft notices and fixes this horrible bug.
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thanks for pointing this out to us! I agree completely that this is indeed a serious issue! Thank you very much for sharing it with everyone here! Sincerely, thank you!

I have forwarded this issue to the development team, and they will investigate this as soon as possible!

Once more, thank you so much!

I wish you a great day.
Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
I haven't tried this but it does look like it is a bug.
The problem with 'Append' is it will use the next available index number, so if there is nothing on the right the next number is "1".
The problem with this is that layer number "1" is always the "Archicad Layer", so that must be why it is changing name.
So when appending layers, the Attribute manager should always include layer "1" automatically or when appending start with "2" if nothing is there.

The work arounds you mention will work.
Include the 'Archicad Layer' yourself when appending or use 'By Index' (which is always my preferred option anyway).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Solution
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thanks for pointing this out to us! I agree completely that this is indeed a serious issue! Thank you very much for sharing it with everyone here! Sincerely, thank you!

I have forwarded this issue to the development team, and they will investigate this as soon as possible!

I wish you a great day.
Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

Barry Kelly
Ghaleb wrote:

Thank you Ghaleb for picking up the problem and passing it on.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Just a quick update on this issue:

I have taken this up with the development team and we confirmed the seriousness of this defect.
We have added this into our defect database, and we prioritized this accordingly.

For the time being, I would like to recommend to avoid using "Append >>" and "By Name >>" and instead use "By Index >>" if applicable to your workflow.

I extend my thanks to @runxel for posting and pointing this issue out so that everyone can be aware of it.

I hope we will see this fixed as soon as possible.

Once more, thank you all and I wish you a fantastic day!
[Stay Active. Stay Awesome everyone!]

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT

runxel
Legend
Thank you so much for taking notes and passing that one on! ♥
Have a great day as well, Ghaleb! 🙂

Ghaleb wrote:

I extend my thanks to @runxel for posting and pointing this issue out so that everyone can be aware of it.

I hope we will see this fixed as soon as possible.

Once more, thank you all and I wish you a fantastic day!
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
runxel
Legend
@Ghaleb
By the way: some users are missing the layer extension as its own column in the Attribute Manager.
(I know that the extension is there, appended in the format "layer-name.extension", but you can't sort by extension)
Ghaleb Khadra
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi runxel,

Thanks for your answer!

Actually, we already have such a wish (Sorting Layers by Extension) in our system so I added your entry into it, which gives it more weight.
(For reference, the Wish number is 2244)

I hope this will get implemented in the future!

Have a great day!

Kind regards,
Ghaleb
Ghaleb Khadra
BIM Expert
GRAPHISOFT