Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Bimcloud with a location and no internet

Eric Milberger
Advocate

I currently use one license but will soon add others.

For now I have my pln file on a server that is synced on my laptop and office.

As long has I can sync I work just fine.

But Now I am migrating in preparation for the others.

When I go to a remote site I can login for a minute (sometimes) but cannot stay logged in for all day.

If I am not concerned with someone working in the same drawing space (two Architects within the same file)

Of couse I knwo how to handle the license but not comfortable with the file since I am not downloading or syncing a current version.

Is it as simple as a login before I leave and a 5 min login as I travel?  Or do I always have to be connected.

Eric Milberger, Architect | Master Planner
7 REPLIES 7
Noemi Balogh
Community Admin
Community Admin

I'm not quite sure what is the exact problem here, but I give it a try to answer you. BIMcloud can be accessed via LAN, but in an almost fully offline environment it doesn't really make sense to use Teamwork. If you have no internet, you can still work, but:

• you can't sync changes with the other party,
  • can't reserve or release elements,
  • therefore can modify only those elements and data you reserved earlier in the day.

Because of the above, I think it is better to be online and connected through the whole time you work with the project.

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

But that is not reality on job sites.  I can spend a week working on a job site with no internet.  And only sync in the evening if internet available.   Typical on any large job we have.  The work is limited to me at that moment.   I just want to know if I can work while offline without being locked out

You won't be locked out, but again, syncing with BIMcloud in this case is not possible.

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Understood but that would be typical for any software without a link.  Just wanted to make sure I could leave a hotel with a live laptop and do what needs to be done.

Please note that not all work is in an office.  And many locations do NOT have reqular or reliable service..

At this moment I am good - the issue will come up again when we work remotely and someone's internet provider is having issues - does he just stop working?  I would assume Not, but that he would have to coordinate the he not work on the same items or area while others are working.

This can be a daily task on some projects.

Whatever you reserve when you are only will stay in your workspace, you can modify them even offline and the other party can't modify them until you release them.

What you can't do (and actually at this point I don't really know what you expect) is that if the other party, let's say, updated a floorplan, and you worked on the layouts, to update it to the current version, because you do not own them. Also, whatever was reserved by them or free to reserve, you can't modify, as you are not in sync with the BIMcloud.

Could you elaborate on what exactly do you expect here?

Noémi Balogh

Community Expert, Admin

Eric Milberger
Advocate

I want to be able to work on Archicad Architectural files while others work on their discipline.

I am used to a multi model approach.   I work in arch files only while structural works in a structural file.   On big projects. Interiors could be their own.   With everyone is remote,  we work fine in this approach but exploring now Archicad as it is so superior in so many ways..   The problem is dealing with current reality.  My engineers and staff are no longer in corporate settings.   To find Archicad engineers I have to work in this fashion.   However. For example. If I go to the gulf coast I will only have bad cellular.  So normally would work offline and let things sync overnight.

So I assume - since most cases will be in the singular model - as long as we work on different items, or only on our own layers we can be OK..  If this does not work we will be handicapped.

I also assume we could use modules for some disciplines like interiors..

My question will be more with structural and We will find out on the next project where our challenges are.

Trying to get a game plan in stead of on the project trial and error.