BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Blank Orbit Screen

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having a problem orbiting. When ever I click on axonometric view and then to orbit the screen turns black when I try to rotate. It also does this when ever I try to pan as well. Any ideas on how to fix this?
14 REPLIES 14
Djordje
Ace
Check your video card OpenGL capabilities.

Update the driver

Reduce the hardware acceleration
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your response.

My video card is Mobile Intel (R) 945GM Express Chipset Family. I am also running Vista on a Toshiba, Intel Core 2, 1.99GB, 1.66GHz.

I tried to update the driver and it says that my driver is currently up to date when I checked for updates.

When I tried to reduce the hardware acceleration it said that "Your current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings".

I am not sure what to do now? Do I need another video card? Whenever I was running Archicad 10 on my laptop I didn't encounter this problem. But when I noticed this problem was happening with Archicad 11, I went back to AC 10 and checked to see if it would do it there and it did whereas it never did before in AC 10.

HELP!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got the same problem.
AC11, windows vista, same video card (Intel GMA 950)
the latest drivers for video card has been installed.
any suggestions will be very appreciated
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Mobile Intel (R) 945GM Express Chipset is an integrated video subsystem (used mainly in laptops AFAIK) so you probably don't have the option to upgrade. But then there are few if any dedicated graphics in laptops that can be upgraded either. As you might expect the dedicated graphics is more powerful. This is one of the main differences (besides case material and screen size) between the MacBooks and MacBook Pros, and one of the primary reasons most ArchiCAD users buy the Pros.

I am afraid your choices are probably limited to putting up with the limited graphics capability or getting a new computer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi folks. I digged Google and found the solution. Here's a quote from Intel's website:

The Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset family support hardware acceleration of OpenGL* applications in 16-bit and 32-bit color depths. OpenGL* 1.4 plus extensions is the latest version currently supported by the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Drivers. Drivers that come with Windows* or that are downloaded from Windows* Update typically do not support OpenGL*. For optimal performance of OpenGL applications, install the latest graphics drivers from Intel. Also, exit any running background applications, such as virus scanners, NetMeeting* or any programs that run in the task bar.

You can download the latest Intel GMA 950 driver from here. Before installing this driver, make sure you uninstall the old driver. You should download the driver in ZIP format because the EXE driver won't install properly by running Setup.exe. Windows brings up a message that the driver is not validated which is a driver bug that Intel hasn't taken care of yet. After downloading the ZIP, unpack, run Device Manager, right-click the video adapter and choose "Update driver". Then point to the location of the extracted driver files and you should be fine. Hope this helps. Cheers to everyone!
Anonymous
Not applicable
The latest driver from intel.com and also I've got disabled desktop composition - on System - Performance settings. On very first view looks like everything is working fine.

desktop composition AKA Desktop Window Manager is a 3d tool that controls 3d effects in vista.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem, when i orbit my screen turns black. Im not quite sure what a video card is or how to acess it. Could anyone help with this. In simple terms. thankyou
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem. I also have Intel 945 GM Express Chipset. I had windows xp installed on my hp nptebook and archicad 3d window worked perfectly. Just yesterday I upgraded to windows 7 and this problem started.

The screen goes dark only after I orbit and drop it. while orbiting everything looks fine... and if I pan it, it also looks fine. It seems to be an open GL problem because when I use the internal 3d motor it works fine. I've tried different open GL configurations, and I've also tried installing the latest driver for windows 7.

But the problem persists. Anyone have else any ideas on how to solve this?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issue. I wrote about it some time ago and now i see this topic. It didn`t happend in AC 13, but in AC 14 and 15 it does happend.
I am using Nvidia Quadro Fx 1800.
Did you get any reply from the tech department?
Learn and get certified!