BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Borrowing a license

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to borrow the license from my office PC to use whilst I'm at home, to no avail!

Could someone help out/point me in the direction as to where I might be going wrong please.

When i plug the codemeter key into my laptop, I can't get it to work with the installed version of archicad (currently trial/demo mode).

I don't seem to have the attached option to borrow my license, is this an issue?
15 REPLIES 15
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I don't have a solution as such, but I generally call our local reseller with these problems for a quicker solution than asking on this user forum. I mean no offence by that, but you'll probably want to get going as soon as possible.

We have a network license (software key) that (in theory) I could use on location by setting up a VPN at work and logging in to that. No idea how hardware keys would work, I was under the impression they were phased out by now.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
As far as I know you can only borrow a software network licence.

If you have a codemeter network license you will need to leave that plugged in so everyone can access it and if you are outside the office network then you will need to VPN in to gain access.

If you have a single codemeter key then you can physically move that from machine to machine.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, I'd read the help guides etc and got a bit of mixed information so wanted to get a better understanding before contacting the reseller.

My colleague just unplugs from his office PC and plugs into his laptop without any issues but I don't know the history behind it.
Barry Kelly
thompsonmp wrote:
My colleague just unplugs from his office PC and plugs into his laptop without any issues but I don't know the history behind it.
That sounds like a single license Codemeter key.
Can be plugged into any machine you want to use it on.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry

To my knowledge, that's what they all are, coodemeter keys that plug into the back of everyone's computers.

What I don't get is why I can't just unplug from my machine and plug it into my laptop
Barry Kelly
thompsonmp wrote:
What I don't get is why I can't just unplug from my machine and plug it into my laptop
You should be able to - that is what I do all the time.
So long as they are single license keys.
If they are network keys then you have to do something in the Codemeter Control Centre (which you will need to install) to activate them for use - I just can't remember what off the top of my head.
However if they are network licenses, then no-one else will be able to use them when on your laptop unless it is connected to the network - and if it is connected to the network then you won't need move the key as you could use the network license.

How are you using Archicad now on your laptop - if only when connected to the network then it sounds like they may be network keys and not single keys.

On your laptop make sure you have the Codemeter drivers installed on you laptop (they will be if you have Archicad installed and have been using it already).

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/protection_key.html

Or you could install the License Manager Tool - this will install the Codemeter drivers and the software that allows you to check and update the license version.
If you install this software and it can not detect the key when it is plugged in then it could mean there is a problem with your USB port.

http://www.graphisoft.com/downloads/licensing/help/INT/pc.html

If you install this and then check the key when you plug it in it will tell you if it is a single or network license.
The license manager tool may already be installed on the PC - you could check it there if it is to save installing on your laptop.

If it is installed you will find it under the Graphisoft program folder (where Archicad is).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry

That was what I couldn't understand, from everything I've read, I'm sure I should just be able to unplug and plug it into my machine (the risk of losing the codemeter key is another issue).

Currently I'm not getting anything done on my laptop as it's just the demo version (the trial ran out) and I can't activate it using the codemeter key when I plug it in.

I've downloaded the license manager etc. I can view the codemeter key and verify that the license is valid for AC20 on my laptop, I just can't activate it.
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 11.48.03.png
Barry Kelly
This is what I see when I open the license manager.

I notice you have Archicad 'Solo' (which I don't) but I shouldn't think this would make any difference.
As you had the trial version my understanding is when you plug in a valid key it will switch to the real (non-trial) version.

Maybe the Codemeter key is for the full version and not the 'Solo' version?
I see from your ignition image it says 'commercial'
I am assuming this is different to 'Solo'.

I can only think of re-installing Archicad to see if that fixes it or contacting your local distributor to see if they have any ideas.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry, the following image is from my machine, it's AC20 Solo so I can't fathom why it won't work. I tried contacting the reseller but we have support on different licenses so I wasn't sure what I could and couldn't ask.
Learn and get certified!