Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Cannot read plan

Svetlana
Participant

Hello! I cannot open the file in which I worked only yesterday. "Unable to read plan" AC 25. Neither pln nor bpn. Copying and merging didn't work.
Is there a chance for file recovery?

8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

In the Open Dialog, after you select the PLN or BPN file, check the "Open & Repair selected file" checkbox, and then Open it, see if that helps.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly

Are you working directly from a cloud based job folder?

icloud, onedrive, dropbox, etc?

If so that may be the problem.

The file is trying to sync while you are saving and has become corrupted.

I am not sure there is anything you can do to recover it unless you have some sort of version recovery with the cloud service.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, I've also tried this option. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

That's right, the file was in the cloud. This is very sad 😞

”Are you working directly from a cloud based job folder?

icloud, onedrive, dropbox, etc?

If so that may be the problem.

The file is trying to sync while you are saving and has become corrupted.”

I don’t think there is enough information to conclude anything like that. I’ve got years of experience with cloud based workflow, and it’s been a really good of an experience. At least today it is. I would not want to give this workflow away, not anymore.

We still don’t know the OS in use, we don’t know the set-up in use, and we don’t know the cloud service used either?

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS

@mikas wrote:

I don’t think there is enough information to conclude anything like that. I’ve got years of experience with cloud based workflow, and it’s been a really good of an experience. At least today it is. I would not want to give this workflow away, not anymore.

We still don’t know the OS in use, we don’t know the set-up in use, and we don’t know the cloud service used either?

It was just a hunch and it seems it might be right.

It has cropped up before.

I have also successfully used cloud based storage at times.

It all seems to work fine - until it doesn't.

It seems to be something with saving a file soon after you have just saved it.

The first save triggers the cloud storage to start synchronising with all the other sites.

If Archicad then saves again while this is happening, it seems it can trigger the corrupt files.

Actually, here is an article from Graphisoft that will explain it better than me.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-Management-articles/Sync-utilities-and-issues-with-Save-...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry, I had allready forgotten the article myself. I'll go and read it again.

With DropBox you can get an "could not save the file" error when saving, usually a pretty large file, quickly two times in a row. Still the syncing software does not corrupt your file if you do this. And you can save it normally after the cloud software has done its thing.

Data safety: DropBox business at least gives you 3 6 months of backups to recover with their cloud web interface, and probably with their desktop app too nowadays. Sorry I don't mean to sell the software, It's just what I have been using for a few years now.

I believe, if I remember it right, and at least with DropBox, the software makes a temporary file when save occurs, and if it's not ready when you hit save again, it gives you an error, and you have to try again after a moment. And so does Archicad, maybe lots of temporary files, and that's why a sudden save after a save is not working seemlesly with cloud software. Maybe it tries to sync it too eagerly.

I hope Graphisoft can make Archicad save cloud safe. I still believe cloud is the future for our working platforms. Right now every major vendor offer their clouds to customers, for consumers and for businesses. I do realize there might be caveats to it (cloud) overall, like data safety, internet reliability, and such, but let's work to overcome those.

Maybe we can learn about the specs of the original poster later?

edit. correction, DB backups are available 30 days for Basic plans, and 180 days for Business plans.

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS

In my case, only the autosave file in the cloud. And it syncs with my desktop. And also, when saving the file, no error was issued.
By the way, I must say that this is not the first time. Otherwise, the bpn file was opened. But not now.
And I notice that this error often occurs when there is a staircase in the project and the last work was related to its construction.