BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

CodeMeter Sticks

I was just informed by my local distributer that you can not mix code meters with the old dongles. Everyone using the server has to have the same kind of software protection devise.

Upgrades are not being shipped with the new code sticks. The new programs are. They have no code meter sticks to sell us at this time.
Also, I don't think the license borrowing features of ArchiCAD 13 are in the progam yet. We will have to wait for the next hot-fix to get that ?

Can a person order a new ArchiCAD 13 with a dongle instead of a code meter stick so they can log into a dongle server?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

14 REPLIES 14
Karl Ottenstein
Steve wrote:
I was just informed by my local distributer that you can not mix code meters with the old dongles. Everyone using the server has to have the same kind of software protection devise
Checking in from on the road.... have not heard of this before, Steve, and find it highly unlikely. I cannot image why the server would care how a local copy of ArchiCAD is licensed.

The only thing that I know of that the server cares about is that everyone accessing it is on exactly the same build of ArchiCAD. The server and all clients must be on the same build number - initial release build being 3000.

Maybe someone from GS can comment.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
It sounds unlikely to me too.

I think it is also strange that the license borrowing features are not actually avaialble yet either. We will have to wait for the hot-fix.

Here is what Frank told me.

[Moderator deleted: Frank does not give permission to have his message published.]

What this means is that a person who just bought a new ArchiCAD 13 and got a code meter stick will not be able to collaborate with anyone except other new program users. Upgrade users will not be able to collaborate with new progam users. ????

Something is not right about this.

The reason this is important to me is becaue I would like to buy my own code meter stick. The one they are sending out with the new progams does not have memory. I want a nice chrome one with memory and a case. I want to be able to activate it via the Graphisoft upgrade site.

I want answers about this before I upgrade so I can do it right and also so GS does not take advantage of me. I do not trust them not to try and sell me someting at a high price something I could have gotten on my own with out having to wait.

http://codemeter.com/us/hardware.html

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Karl Ottenstein
Thanks for letting me know where you heard the information from, Steve. I believe that there was a misunderstanding from the person who passed the information on to your contact. I have a message into GS HQ to clarify. Being the weekend, it may take a couple of days...

One thing is certain - the information that you shared is definitely being passed around North American resellers - so we need to clear it up.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
So is there any reason I can't upgrade my own code meter stick or does it need to be one from GS only.

When they are avaialble from the distributors I hope we will have the option of choosing the kind we want.

Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Steve wrote:
I was just informed by my local distributer that you can not mix code meters with the old dongles. Everyone using the server has to have the same kind of software protection devise.
(...)
Can a person order a new ArchiCAD 13 with a dongle instead of a code meter stick so they can log into a dongle server?
Steve,

What your distributor probably told you is that it is not supported to have two keys of different kind in the same office. So you should either have the new Codemeter stick, or the old WibuKey, but not both in the same network.

This has nothing to do with the BIM Server. If two offices collaborate using the same BIM Server, it does not matter at all if one has CodeMeter and the other WibuKey.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
gkmethy wrote:
Steve wrote:
(...)
Steve,

What your distributor probably told you is that it is not supported to have two keys of different kind in the same office. So you should either have the new Codemeter stick, or the old WibuKey, but not both in the same network.

This has nothing to do with the BIM Server. If two offices collaborate using the same BIM Server, it does not matter at all if one has CodeMeter and the other WibuKey.
With all do respect, there would be no reason for you to presume what my distrubutor has told me if Karl had not censored my post.

I know exactly what my distrubutor told me and I posted it here word for word and with his contact information.

Thank you for confirming that what he said is true.

Graphisoft is not providing current users with CodeMeter keys. Once they determine pricing, you will be able to order them to replace your USB key for a fee (that has yet to be determined). Anyway, if you’re working on any teamwork projects with other persons of firms utilizing USB keys & you switched to the CodeMeter key, you would not be able to collaborate anymore as that mixed key environments are not supported. You all need to be on one type of key or the other to collaborate.

gkmethy wrote:
Steve wrote:
(...)
Steve,

If an office can not collaborate with it's own teammates unless they are all using the same kind of dongle how can it make no difference when they collaborate with another office using the BIM server.

The BIM server is how they are able to collaborate in the office too isn't it?

Also, can you confirm that license borrowing is not actually available in this version of ArchiCAD 13. (See ArchiCADWIKI)

Using the CodeMeter Control Center to transfer a license, can that be to the CodeMeter or Flashdrive of our choice ?
Has any one tried it?

Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Steve wrote:
If an office can not collaborate with it's own teammates unless they are all using the same kind of dongle how can it make no difference when they collaborate with another office using the BIM server.

The BIM server is how they are able to collaborate in the office too isn't it?

Also, can you confirm that license borrowing is not actually available in this version of ArchiCAD 13. (See ArchiCADWIKI)

Using the CodeMeter Control Center to transfer a license, can that be to the CodeMeter or Flashdrive of our choice ?
Has any one tried it?
Steve,

That sentence is certainly misleading. Let me give you a more technical description:

It is not allowed to have both CodeMeter and WibuKey in the same subnetwork. A subnetwork is a network of computers that can directly communicate with each other without going through a router. An office is typically one subnetwork, although you can divide up an office into several subnetworks. Large offices may break up their network into different subnets, to control access of resources. Since ArchiCAD searches the subnetwork for available licenses, it is not recommended to have both types of keys and it will confuse license management.

However, if you collaborate with another office through the internet, the other office is definitely in a different subnetwork. You can't access their protection key, and they can't access yours. Therefore it does not matter if the keys are different. The BIM server itself does not need a Protection key to run. Only the ArchiCAD clients need protection keys.

License Borrowing will be a new product, coming later this year. License borrowing will only be available with CodeMeter sticks. You can not use just any flash drive, nor can you use CodeMeter sticks other than the one you bought from Graphisoft.

Greg
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
A GS CodeMeter stick with out any flash memory seems like a very unfortunate choice to me.

I hope it is not too late for GS to reconsider which CodeMeter stick we can have.

A tool like the CodeMeter stick is not just for ArchiCAD. I don't want to buy one that is disabled to work only with my ArchiCAD, and another one that works with everything else. The whole idea of a CodeMeter is defeated if you need a fist full of them.

ArchiCAD is never the only software needed by it's users. It is only one of the many programs we need to have.

I hope GS has considered how the CodeMeter stick relates to all of the other software we use.

Will we be able to use the GS CodeMeter stick as intended for our other programs too, or will it be disabled so it can only be used with ArchiCAD?

Is there any documentation available yet answering these kind of questions about the GS CodeMeter stick or is this the best place to get answers about it ?

Shot at 2009-10-06

Learn and get certified!