Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

DRAWING WALLS

Anonymous
Not applicable
WHEN I DRAW MY WALLS THE WILL NOT SNAP TO THE REFERANCE ENTERED. THEY CONTINUE TO SNAP TO THE DISTANCE MARKED BY THE CURSOR. WHAT DO I DO?
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable
Shift-Click on both walls, and then click on Edit/Intersect and the walls will join.

Grant
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are talking about a typed length-
After you type in your reference are you clicking on the screen, press enter or pressing r again. You should be pressing enter.

If you are talking about the reference line of the wall-
Make sure you wait for the correct cursor before you click. There will be a list of cursors in the help menu.

Julia
Anonymous
Not applicable
i am using a typed reference and i am hitting enter instead of clicking with the mouse. exact steps: i click to start the wall, then press shift to straighten it out, i then press r while i am holding shift. i let go of all keys and type in the length of the wall that i would like. then i press enter. the wall stays the length that it had been dragged to by the cursor. it has gotten me all confused as to how it does it right sometimes and wrong other times. i hope this helps with the process of finding the solution.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check to see if the R-value is being entered in the dialogue box. We have seen times that hitting the R key does not lock the R-value. Try switching the delta button on and off; and if that does not work a restart is in order.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the r value is entering into the box and stays there till i hit the enter key. once i hit the enter key it changes to something else. i have now tried the delta button but the same results occured. it still left the wall at the point where the cursor is. so i restarted and that didn't help either. it is still doing the same thing. this is a real pain in the butt because nothing will draw the right length.
Anonymous
Not applicable
jcude wrote:
i am using a typed reference and i am hitting enter instead of clicking with the mouse. exact steps: i click to start the wall, then press shift to straighten it out, i then press r while i am holding shift. i let go of all keys and type in the length of the wall that i would like. then i press enter. the wall stays the length that it had been dragged to by the cursor. it has gotten me all confused as to how it does it right sometimes and wrong other times. i hope this helps with the process of finding the solution.

Your mistake lies somewhere in here. Either...

1. hit Enter to start the wall (keep away from the mouse)
2. type x ( or y) and the length (or a and the angle then r and the length) you want the wall to be
3. hit Enter again

or...

1. click the mouse where you want to start the wall and begin moving the mouse in the direction in which you want the wall to go
2. press Shift to straighten it out, then press r while holding shift
3. type the length you would like the wall to be
4. hit Enter to complete the wall

By the way, working this way it's better to keep the "Delta" buttons depressed.

Cheers,

Woody
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Okay - I'll bite

You need to enter x coodinates and y coordinates. So to draw a wall 10 feet from left to right, start your wall and hit the X key, then enter 10, then hit the Y key and enter 0. ***Then you must hit enter to complete the entry. A mouse click will override these entries!***

This assumes that your delta button is indented for the x and y coordinates in the coordinate box, making these relative measurements.

An easier way is to start your wall, move your cursor to the right then simply to hold shift down to lock in your horizontal constraint, and hit the R key. Then enter 10 to define the radius of how far you are modeling your wall from it's origin. This also assumes that the delta button is indented for the radius.

Please see the attached animation for an example of the latter method. You'll notice that the 'A' (for angle)has a box around it, indicating it is locked as soon as shift is pressed. And as soon as you hit R, the R value is highlighted, ready to be overwritten. Hitting R again, will toggle this off, if you ever hit it by mistake. This should help you visually in the future.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link is seeing the same thing in the way you are describing what you are doing it as I am. You seem to be confusing by being a little off on your clicking

woodster
Anonymous
Not applicable
jcude wrote:
WHEN I DRAW MY WALLS THE WILL NOT SNAP TO THE REFERANCE ENTERED. THEY CONTINUE TO SNAP TO THE DISTANCE MARKED BY THE CURSOR. WHAT DO I DO?
My guess is that you haven't gpot the numeric keypad turned on a
ll the time!