Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Dual Processor Configuration for Winodws

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,
I work with the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the Tech Support Branch. We have a user using ArchiCAD 9.0 build 2045 His system has 3 GIG of memory... 2- 3.6 GHZ processors.. it seems when he generates fly-thrus. The CPU usage is only around 25% on one CPU and less on the second.. If we move the process priority to above normal, the first CPU goes to 100% and the second is less than 20%. I would think this would load balance better. This is running on a Windows XP SP2. Any thoughts would be greatly appricated... Thanks, Dave.

above normal priority.gif
4 REPLIES 4
TomWaltz
Participant
Coros wrote:
Hi All,
I work with the U.S. Corps of Engineers in the Tech Support Branch. We have a user using ArchiCAD 9.0 build 2045 His system has 3 GIG of memory... 2- 3.6 GHZ processors.. it seems when he generates fly-thrus. The CPU usage is only around 25% on one CPU and less on the second.. If we move the process priority to above normal, the first CPU goes to 100% and the second is less than 20%. I would think this would load balance better. This is running on a Windows XP SP2. Any thoughts would be greatly appricated... Thanks, Dave.
Archicad is not optimized for multiple processors.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
"TomWaltz" wrote:
"Coros" wrote:
Hi All,

Archicad is not optimized for multiple processors.

Is there any way to speed it up?
TomWaltz
Participant
Coros wrote:
Is there any way to speed it up?
Sounds like you've already got a fast machine with a boatload of RAM. That's about it.

We're doing fly-throughts on Cinema 4D, which can use our 30 Mac G5 machines as a render farm. Single machines took too long for anything higher than screen resolution or more than several seconds long.
Tom Waltz
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
As far as I know, the only time ArchiCAD uses the two processors is when you are using the LightWorks rendering engine.
Otherwise that's about the fastest you can go.

I don't know if using fast SCSI drives would make any significant, perceiveable difference. It might.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27