BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Edited drawings reverting back to previous status

Anonymous
Not applicable
Newbie working on my first plotmaker document at work (Two person office- I'm the ACAD "expert" V.9 -and expert I'm not!) I noticed that my last editing of a drawing which I had updated, saved and redefined no longer showed the edits in Plotmaker or the linked drawing. So I assume I did something wrong and just did all the same edits all over again-redefined the view set, saved and went back into Plotmaker, updated the said drawing (made sure it was linked to correct document) and it showed the updating on the layouts- did some more edits on another document and viewset, saved and redefined and it updated on the layout. Then I was showing my boss my progress and the freaking thing is back to the pre-edits on Plotmaker AND the edited linked documents. I am more than a bit perplexed as to what I am doing wrong and afraid to do this all over again. What the heck is going on?!

Is it something to do with Teamwork status on docs or something like that?-Sometime ACAD opens up (or seems to close on its own) differently. I'm not even sure what the teamwork parameters are since I'm the only one that works on ACAD here.

Please Help!

Wait! I'm slowly figuring this out. How is it that you can open the same document multiple times on your computer?! Or, why does the bottom PC bar show the ACAD icon open multiple times as well? and that I can have a doc reduced down in the bottom bar and can go to the folder where a doc is kept and double click to open and the doc doesn't jump up from the bar -rather it slowly opens again as another -same named document as the one already open? That doesn't make sense to me -you have one app and one version of a named doc made in that app-in MAC OS it would just show the app on and one version of a doc made in that app. open, reduced or off. I am also new to the PC world here (Mac Head) so is this ACAD or PC?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
This is a PC problem. I thought it might have been fixed by version 8 or 9 (had no reason to test it) but it was definitely possible to open multiple copies of the same file in earlier versions. I had several clients who had headaches with this some years ago.

In Windows if you double click a file in the Explorer it will automatically launch in another session of ArchiCAD. In my experience it will not warn you if the file is already open. This has never been a problem on Macs. They had the opposite problem of not being able to easily run multiple sessions (it required multiple copies of the application file). Both problems are fixed in AC10.

Just be careful to keep track of what is running in your task bar. It is also important not to hide the file extensions of known file types. This is the default setting for Windows and makes it difficult to tell the difference between the .PLN (your current working copy) and the .BPN (the previous saved version kept as a backup).
Djordje
Ace
Matthew wrote:
This is a PC problem ... In Windows if you double click a file in the Explorer it will automatically launch in another session of ArchiCAD. In my experience it will not warn you if the file is already open.
While the above is correct, this is the user problem.

You should NEVER open a file by double clicking on it. Any file! Start the software, File/Open ... then you know what is being opened. And, BTW, you are forced to do some filing, and not just save everything on the desktop.

Yes, I am horrible!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!