BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Experimenting ArchiCAD, what is the best thing to do?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, my first post here.

Well, here is my issue. I'm an Architecture student very used with the 2D CAD software, Autocad. But trying to optimize my work and lose less time when making modifications, sections, elevations, ... . I'm willing to try ArchiCad.

I've done the tutorials in the Graphisoft page, but now that I'm trying to work in my own project with it, I'm feeling it a little bit unfriendly to elaborate the project. it doesn't seem to be user friendly to develop the plans from scratch, and since all the tutorials of graphisoft page are done on the top of preexisting plans, I would like to know which is the best way, or the most used the way, to work in ArchiCad. Is it better to make the plans first in a 2D Cad software, or it is possible and easy to do all in Archicad?
So. please share your experience and workflow in Archicad.

Thanks a lot,
Alexandre
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
The best way to learn AC is to think as you build your building.
Thomas Holm
Booster
alexandrecollaco wrote:
I've done the tutorials in the Graphisoft page, but now that I'm trying to work in my own project with it, I'm feeling it a little bit unfriendly to elaborate the project. it doesn't seem to be user friendly to develop the plans from scratch, and since all the tutorials of graphisoft page are done on the top of preexisting plans, I would like to know which is the best way, or the most used the way, to work in ArchiCad. Is it better to make the plans first in a 2D Cad software, or it is possible and easy to do all in Archicad?
OF COURSE you can develop your project from scratch in Archicad! The modeling tools are quite complete, and will let you do most of what you could want.

In many projects though, something exists beforehand. Personally when designing buildings, I mostly start with a rough hand sketch before going into Archicad. An older CAD drawing, a DWG or a PDF of some kind, even scanned drawings or hand sketches can be pulled into Archicad and used as a backdrop or a trace reference.

But to draw your project in some 2D CAD program first is just unnecessary doubling of your work. When you get to know the tools, it's just as fast - or faster- to draw in Archicad directly.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the answers
Thomas wrote:
OF COURSE you can develop your project from scratch in Archicad! The modeling tools are quite complete, and will let you do most of what you could want.

In many projects though, something exists beforehand. Personally when designing buildings, I mostly start with a rough hand sketch before going into Archicad. An older CAD drawing, a DWG or a PDF of some kind, even scanned drawings or hand sketches can be pulled into Archicad and used as a backdrop or a trace reference.

But to draw your project in some 2D CAD program first is just unnecessary doubling of your work. When you get to know the tools, it's just as fast - or faster- to draw in Archicad directly.

Great to know that, would be kind of dumb to need a 2d drawing beforehand.

About the ideas and first development phase I really don't believe any software package can be as creative as hand drawing. So I never get to the software with a blank sheet. The thing is that I'm am finding some basic modeling in ArchiCad hard to do, for example tracing reference lines , adding incremental values when drawing or working in an inclined terrain, probably this is all because of my lack of experience. I'll keep struggling. Someone here knows about good free tutorials in the internet? most of them is for sell.

Ahh! another thing occurred to me, since english is not my first language, I'm have to struggle with the names of windows and doors components. so, is there a way to change the language of those, like a patch or something?

Thanks again and have a nice day
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There...

I remember the time I had to move over from a 2D Cad to ArchiCAD. I got highly frustrated in the begining but stuck it through and became easier every time i used ArchiCAD. I know that ArchiCAD does not seem user friendly to you at the moment and here are some tips that i would have loved to have known when i was starting out. Hope they help:

1. Try to use your shortcuts for some of the more common tools such as copy, drag, rotate and mirror. It will save you time. Tip: when pressing ctrl+D (for drag) you can press ctrl again and notice it makes a + sign behind the curser. meaning you are making a duplicate of the item you are draging. Also try pressing ctrl + alt, now there will be 2 + behind the curosr meaning multiple duplicates. This works with drag, mirror, rotate all those functions.

2. When drawing by means of using the polycon method (Slab, Fill, Roof, etc.) and you started drawing your polycon shape and accidently pressed on a wrong point you do not need to start all over again, you can press ''backspace'' and your cursor will return to the previous node.

3. Magic Wand is very usefull (shortcut is ''spacebar'')

4. Take a clean sheet, and go through each tool, start with a straight wall and experimenting with all the functions you get in the pet pallette. Do this with every tool, simply see how you can modify each tool and how you can use it.

5. When working on sloping terrains remember that there are the cravity tool that you can use.

6. I know that everyone always says that you should read the manual. And yes you should, Archicad has a very nice manual, you simply have to type in the word and search for the topic. I have found a lot of nice usefull tips in the manual you simply have to read.

7. When modeling in Archicad think out side the box. The wall tool does not only have to be used for modeling walls, think of ways on how to use each tool to their maximum capibility.

8. Solid element operations and the Complex Profile tool are very usefull function to use.

The nice thing about archicad is that it does not realy limit you, you simply have to learn on how to use each tool and function to suit your needs. Hope some of these tips does help you. If you need any further help on a specific topic feel free to email me at cecilia@jwarc.com. Maybe i can be of some more help.

Remember to enjoy ArchiCAD and just have fun.
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Cecilia wrote:
/.....
5. When working on sloping terrains remember that there is the gravity tool that you can use.
/........
Remember to enjoy ArchiCAD and just have fun.
Succinct, clear, encouraging to new comers, thanks Cecilia
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone. ll keet trying

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all!

Only reading your post, I'm learning a lot! Thanks in deed, Cecilia!

May I write to your email too, please?

Thanks a lot and regards from Spain.

Antonio.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cecilia

Thank you very much for the tip.
That is what i need to know at the moment.

Try hard for my bright future!
Learn and get certified!