Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Framing Roof Problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using Archicad 14

My framing is attaching to my roof membrane and is keeping my roof framing from gavitating to my top plates. I need to reverse the roof membrane with framing.
I use the roof wizard which works perfect, except the fact that its on top of the roof material instead of underneath resting on the plates like it should be. If I turn off the roof material layer, roof framing still does not drop to plates.

Does any one know how to fix this, or suggestions how flip this around. Would very much be appreciated!
To see 3D picture click on download pdf. (all the way to the RIGHT)
Ry
13 REPLIES 13
Erika Epstein
Booster
Somewhere there is or at least was a place to set the roof thickness, or perhaps I was dreaming
In the meantime with grouping enabled, in the 3D window it is easy to drag the roof framing assembly down/up into the correct position.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
The roof timbers lock onto the bottom surface of the roof you selected.
There is no way to change this as far as I know.

I guess it is designed for a roof composite that has a thickness to allow for the roof timbers (air space) with the cladding skin on top.
When this is placed on your wall plates the roof timbers will end up in the correct position and the cladding skin will appear to float over the top of it all.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
rylink wrote:
Using Archicad 14

My framing is attaching to my roof membrane and is keeping my roof framing from gavitating to my top plates. I need to reverse the roof membrane with framing.
I use the roof wizard which works perfect, except the fact that its on top of the roof material instead of underneath resting on the plates like it should be. If I turn off the roof material layer, roof framing still does not drop to plates.

Does any one know how to fix this, or suggestions how to flip this around. Would very much be appreciated!
Ry

Barry, The roof timbers did not lock under roof materials, but locked on top, should be the other way around, right.
Anonymous
Not applicable
rylink wrote:
rylink wrote:
Using Archicad 14

Does any one know how to fix this, or suggestions how to flip this around. Would very much be appreciated!
Ry

Barry, The roof timbers did not lock under roof materials, but locked on top, should be the other way around, right. Also the timber won't drag down because the roof is attaced to the walls, maybe there's a priority problem?
Barry Kelly
This is what happens when I use the roof wizzard.
Maybe it's just an Aussie "down-under" thing

Once placed the timbers are just objects which you should be able to move around at will.
They are no longer associated with the roof plane.
You can even delete the roof and the timbers will stay.
Do you have the layer that the timbers are in locked?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry , Well I was able to delete and redo roofing material to sit on top of timbers as I wanted, but still have'nt been able to extend wall plates to bottom of of timbers, its as roofing material is still there. Walls will not stretch up. or timbers will not lower? I could try to delete walls, but would like to know if there's another way.

Thanks ry
Anonymous
Not applicable
see picture
Anonymous
Not applicable
picture
Barry Kelly
I'm not sure why you are having trouble stretching or moving items.
Walls you can just chenge the height in the info box or grab the top node in 3D and stretch it (choosing the correct mode in the pet palette).

You shouldn't need to delete the roof - you should just be able to move it up or down in 3D or elevation/section or by adjusting its height in the info box.

Can you cut a section through your model to show what you need to move or stretch?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27