Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

G5 vs. MacBook Pro

jbArch
Newcomer
Hi,
I was thinking of buying a MacBook Pro to use at home and on the road, but then it occured to me that I could just flat out replace my G5, using the MBP full time at the office and elsewhere.

Anyone have experience side by side with each machine???

I have most projects on AC9 right now, but transitioning to AC10. So there will be some need to run AC9 on the intel mac for awhile.

The current G5 is a dual 1.8, 1.25 gigs ram, 64MB video card (nvidia).
The new macbook pro would probably be a 2.0 ghz model, but who knows what I can justify if I think about it long enough.

Also, what's the deal with glossy vs. matte screens on these machines?
Thanks for any help....

Cheers,
JB
AC 21 (8002) & 22 USA
Mac OSX 10.14.5 on MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel i7, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB VRAM, 500GB SSD
2 REPLIES 2
__archiben
Booster
jbArch wrote:
Anyone have experience side by side with each machine???
not very extensive testing, but you may want to look at this...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=11664
Also, what's the deal with glossy vs. matte screens on these machines? Thanks for any help....
glossy looks nicer. but then you're into all kinds of colour matching problems sharing with the rest of the world . . . stick to standard (even though it's free! )

my personal opinion . . . my boss has offered to get me a G5 quad. i'm sticking with the macbook pro . . . (but i'm hanging out for a xeon quad!)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
After adding 1 GB ram.. only costs me about 2mins. more on certain renderings (using sketch tool). Overall, I like the portability and it is powerful enough for day to day CAD tasks. I don't know how they did the other speed test and beat a Quad?? I have a G5 Quad (loaded) and it is noticeably faster, but not by much, IMO.

+pablo

ps: I am running the AC10 "release candidate"