BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Getting a Sager Laptop

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Talkers,
I am looking into buying a new laptop from sager. ( Sagernotebook.com ) from pctorque.com.

There are many models to choose from and options on those models. (Also a new model NP8790 is due to come out with thae same WXGA17" Display).

My questions are: (being budget conscious)
How much RAM?

Dual Channel RAM?

Video Card & Ram (the 8790 is to have a Radeon 9700 w 256 MBDDR) ?

Raid 0 o1 or none?

5400 rpm or 7200 rpm Hard drive speed?

My current laptop is a PIII 1.0Ghz 256MB. The OpenGL is very smooth in 3-D with my ATI Mobility 128AGP Card.
4 REPLIES 4
Djordje
Ace
Jay wrote:
There are many models to choose from and options on those models. (Also a new model NP8790 is due to come out with thae same WXGA17" Display).
You will need 17"
Jay wrote:
How much RAM?
1 GB or more.
Jay wrote:
Dual Channel RAM?
Cannot hurt, but I would prefer more than less with dual channel
Jay wrote:
Video Card & Ram (the 8790 is to have a Radeon 9700 w 256 MBDDR) ?
I prefer nVidia, but got a HP ws with a Radeon recently and no complains until now ...
Jay wrote:
Raid 0 o1 or none?
5400 rpm or 7200 rpm Hard drive speed?
7200, RAID is AFAIK not helping much (I might be wrong here)
Jay wrote:
My current laptop is a PIII 1.0Ghz 256MB. The OpenGL is very smooth in 3-D with my ATI Mobility 128AGP Card.
Whoa! You will be pleasantly surprised by the increase in speed!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Jay wrote:
How much RAM?
1 GB or more.
I've upgraded mine from 512 to 1GB... the computer seems much more faster in day to day tasks...

Local RAID is less important when you have plenty of RAM and even less important if you will save on the Hard disk of a server in the network
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the Replies.
Djordje wrote:
You will need 17"
I will be using a Dual monitor setup, so am not not quite sure if the savings on purchasing the 17" in the Laptop LCD, could help in purchasing a larger 2nd monitor.
I prefer nVidia, but got a HP ws with a Radeon recently and no complains until now ...
Until now

7200, RAID is AFAIK not helping much (I might be wrong here)
Of course tha faster the HDD the better, but is this the best place to put the budget cash for the laptop. (again trying to also budget in a decent 2nd monitor)
Jay wrote:
Whoa! You will be pleasantly surprised by the increase in speed!
I am surprised how well my existing is doing, but I now I will be much happied and I hope a little more productive. (I know that it is not the computer that makes one productive but it can't hurt or can it.....)
Jefferson
Participant
Hi Jay,

I will be curious to know how it goes for you. I have been lusting after a 17" laptop that would run a 2nd monitor and effectively act as a desktop that I can "take the show" to the client. My current setup is adequate but not happy to do everything I ask.

The HP has gotten solid reviews but lacks the faster hard drive. A trade off for the dropit warranty? It seems to me that these two are the only real choices for the money.

What did the pc torque folks offer you warranty wise and when is this newest 17" w/ the 256 video card supposed to be available?

Every time I run a wish list on these the toal exceeds $3K. Glad you're going first!
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Learn and get certified!