Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Hardware Feedback for Archicad and Twinmotion

jakubc7
Advocate

Hi, I was hoping to get some community feedback on the new PC that I am looking at putting together.

Archicad work is mainly single residential, unit developments and some small commercial. I keep my files pretty clean and don't import heavy models into my projects. All vegetation and furnishing happens in Twinmotion. So project scale is small to medium at most. I tend to have multiple ACs opened at once (up to 4-5 if working on multiple units for single project). My current PC can handle it well enough but it gets noticeably slower the more files I open.

What bothers me the most is that TRACE REFEREENCE tends to slow my AC in 2D views quite noticeably. It helps if I use the PROJECT MAP view instead of VIEW MAP as reference. Does anyone know what can be done to help with this issue? 

I do use Twinmotion quite a bit and want to make the most of the Path Tracing. I want to be able to do real time Path Tracing in my walkthroughs and generate short videos with Path Tracing enabled. Something I am unable to do with my current setup (GEFORCE RTX2060).

Any feedback is welcome but the areas I am hoping to further input are:

- Is the graphics card sufficient to do what I want and keep up with the the technology for the next 3-4 years? Professional GPU is probably out of the question due to pricing and as far as I know, it would not handle Path Tracing without spending stupid amount of money. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I am willing to sacrifice AC performance for better Twinmotion experience as I don't tend to have issues with AC.

- Would SSD storage drive make much difference?

- Would I benefit much from 64GB memory upgrade?

I'm hoping to keep the budget around $2500AUD (approx. $1600USD), which the below system is within.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread Up To 4.6Ghz AM4 - No HSF Retail Box
CPU - Cooler Thermaltake Toughair 510 Dual Fan CPU Cooler
Motherboard - Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 AM4 ATX Desktop Motherboard
Memory - Silicon Power 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 XPOWER Zenith Grey C16 3200MHz
OS Drive - WD Blue SN570 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Storage Drive - WD Blue WD10EZEX 3.5" 1TB 64MB 7200RPM Desktop HDD
Graphics Card - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OC LHR 12GB GDDR6
Case NZXT H510 Compact Mid Tower Case - Matte Black
Power Supply - EVGA GD Series 600W 80PLUS Gold Power Supply
Operating System Microsoft Windows 11 Home

Thank you, any feedback is appreciated.

ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
11 REPLIES 11

Thanks! Just changed my order. Got the following upgrades. Bit more $ but hopefully worth it 🙂

- ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC 10GB Video Card

- Corsair RM1000x 1000W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular ATX PSU 2021

- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD HDD (500GB + 1TB)

ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation

It will last you for 3 - 4 years  depending on how aggressive the software developers utilize the hardware. 😁

In the end what is your Objective?
ArchiCAD 9 onwards