BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Help ! Ive lost my dongle

Anonymous
Not applicable
Disaster, Catastrophe.

| have lost my USB dongle!

I have my own liscence of Archicad even though I am employed, unfortunatly I only use Archicad about 5-10% of the time, because of this I tend to leave my USB dongle in the PC at work. Occassionaly I take it home to have a play around with something. It was in doing this that I appear to have lost the dongle! I am still turning the house upside down but it is not looking good. Suffice to say I had not taken on board the advice of insuring the dongle!

I contacted the reseller who it appears take the official line of , lost dongle - sorry you are up the creek.

Anybody any advice, apart from jump off the nearest cliff? There is no way I can afford the £3K + to replace the dongle and as I use it so sparingly cant really justify doing so.

Any advice / sympathy appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sympathy MUCH!

Advice: I have heard that there are pay-per-use dongles available, which might be a cheaper way for occasional use...
Barry Kelly
Are you paying your annual subscription fees or do you just pay to upgrade when you want?
If you are paying a subscription you may be covered.
My subscription includes the insurance - it will be written in your contract if you have one.

Otherwise you will need to get every one you know looking for it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lennox,

You may find it is covered under your own building contents insurance. Try speaking to them before abandoning all hope.

The stance taken does seem a little excessive in as much as the dongle probably only costs £10 or so to physically replace. Why can't your licence be transferred to a new dongle, and the old one removed from their database?

GS seem to want it both ways - we don't own the software, we only licence it so it has no resale value for us, but you are expected to buy a brand new licence at full price if you lose the dongle, which is only there to prove to the software you are the legal user.

Maybe GS should let us own the software and allow us to resell it, and if we lose the dongle then we have to buy another full value one, or else let us licence the software with no resale rights and deal with lost dongles at cost. Why punish us so hard for something that we don't even own and has no monetary value?

Best of luck with sorting it out.
Rakela Raul
Participant
I just forgot my dongle oversees and of course wont pay 2000 dls to travel back and get my dongle.

If under subscription, dongle will be replaced for free... but !!....you will get a new serial for the new dongle, and a redo registration for ecodesigner, MEP and who knows what else !! so .....a pain.
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Learn and get certified!