BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Help Please!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello. My name is April McBain and I am an Interior Designer at an architectural firm in Pittsburgh. My problem is this. I cant figure out the trim command. I recently graduated from college in December and am in my 2nd week at my first job. I have no idea how to use archiCAD and there is no one here that knows how to use it to answer my questions. If anyone knows a good resource site or book or number or anything that would be a big help. For now, I need to learn how to trim. It is different in AutoCAD.
Thank you so very much.
April McBain
11 REPLIES 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Hi April

What are you trying to trim exactly? There are many different methods.

You will notice that any time you hit the control key (assuming you are on a pc), your cursor will turn into a pair of scissors. Click on any element after that and it will be trimmed to the nearest element.

Also, try including your hardware & software specs in your signature so that we can better help you.

Welcome to our community.

Cheers,
Link.
April wrote:
I have no idea how to use archiCAD and there is no one here that knows how to use it to answer my questions. If anyone knows a good resource site or book or number or anything that would be a big help.
Web-site-wise, you have found the best one. There is no substitute for one-on-one training, even just a little bit. Whoever sold your firm AC should be able to help you find training in your area. BTW, how did you drop into a new job and end up the only person using an application? What is everyone else doing?
For now, I need to learn how to trim.
I assume you're in 9, it helps if you put that in your signature, along with whether you're Mac or Windows.

I'll assume you're talking about a drafting operation rather than trimming walls to roofs. That is, a line or something is going too far. Apologies if I misunderstand.

You can use the adjust command, on the edit menu.

You can Command (Ctrl on Windows)+click on the hanging segment to zap it. It should not be selected when you do this.

You can Split it and delete the piece. More clicks.

You can use the stretch command, but it's usually not best.

If the element is grouped, the group switch needs to be off to do any stretchy-type edit.
It is different in AutoCAD.
It certainly is.
Thank you so very much.
You're welcome, good luck.
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using archi cad 8. That ctrl click thing does not work. all that happens is i get red x's, and beeps. i dont understand why something so easy is taking me hours to figure out. Any other ideas?
thanks
April
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Make sure nothing else is selected. Download and view the attached animation to see an example of trimming lines using just the ctrl key on lines.

Make sure the scissors are solid black when clicking!

Cheers,
Link.
TomWaltz
Participant
April

As Link said, make sure you have nothing selected before you Trim. Also, make sure you are clicking on the "face" of what you are trimming. With lines/polylines, this is just the line. If it's a wall, you have to pick on either the inside or outside face of the wall.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
April.. no Manual in sight?? Sorry about the frustration but it is quite simple.. really.. and best to run through the the tutorial and study guides AT YOUR LEISURE... and training for sure..

Surely the boss understands you need time to learn AC?
Anonymous
Not applicable
don't feel bad april i am having a problem that should be much easier to fix and i have it in the drawing walls forum. i am still in school and i am the only person working for my company working with ac. they are trying to implement ac because they have never done their own drafts before. now they think i ought to just draw it and don't understand it takes time. so i feel the frustration and no one has found the answer to my problem either.
Anonymous
Not applicable
April - glad to see you here, we've all been frustrated with ArchiCad at one time or another, me more than most!! I had this exact same problem, here is what I found.

First, select Preferences and go to Mouse Constrants & Methods. At the bottom of the window, you will find Cursor Snap Range. Originally upon installation, this was set to 1, which meant if I was not exactly on top of the single pixel, the cursor would not snap, or my "scissors" would not black out and trim the line. I set this to 3. This way, as long as I am pretty close the the line, the cursor will snap to it and the scissors turn black and trim the line.

This may be your problem. I tried to trim things for a long time and couldn't figure it out until I found this issue. Check it, and then lines are very easy to trim!!! Just hold the Command key down and you will get white scissors. When you cross the line, the scissors will turn black and then you click and it is trimmed. ALSO - If you are trying to trim to a cerain line or object, select it and then trim your line and it will trim to that line or object. Otherwise, it will trim only between the two nearest intersecting lines or objects. If you want to trim multiple lines to a crossing line, select them all, go to Edit and select "ADJUST" and then click on the crossing line you want them all to trim to, and they will all trim to it. Keep in mind, however, it will trim the shortest side of the line only, so it may not accomplish what you wish.

Let us know how you make out with trimming your lines!!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
April - glad to see you hear
Yeah - she hears good!

Sorry - I just couldn't resist!

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!