BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Icloud - working from two locations on the one file

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning,

I have a computer in my office and one at home. I'd like to be able to work on my projects from both locations, and when I save a file, I'd like it to sync via a cloud. I tried setting this up with Icloud, but the archicad files don't sync. Any suggestions for the best method to do this?

Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
RandyC
Advocate
I use a synology server that updates my home computer every time a file is changed - works like a charm !
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
mikas
Expert
It should work alright if you got iCloud Drive checked in both of your machines: System prefs - iCloud - iCloud Drive. At least it works for me.

I have been using DropBox for years, and it has worked seamlessly and very quickly for me and for my use cases. The only limiting factor has been the internet UL/DL speeds. It has been a time saver for me. Very convenient service.

I have used iCloud Drive too to share documents. Some Apps use it natively, but it should work for any app as well. It has been a little bit slower than DropBox, but it works quite nicely too.

Now I have moved to iCloud option which synchronises the whole document folder and desktop folder of my main machine at home. This way I can access everything from everywhere in my Mac Pro documents and desktop folders if I need to.

Only thing to remember with either service is that you don't want to shut down or put to sleep your machines until all files have been synchronised. That is why I have a sleep timer for most of my machines. I just leave them on all the time, and they sleep when their idle countdown tells them to. I set it to several hours to ensure full file synchronisation.

I have got a win10 machine nowadays too. I have yet to install iCloud drive to that machine, but I have no reason to believe it would not work as expected. I might test Microsoft OneDrive too, and I would expect it to work similarly and as seamlessly as the above mentioned cloud services do.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
mikas
Expert
I have reverted back to DropBox. 199€/year subscription.

Apples 10€/month 2TB iCloud was good, but slower. It was a working solution. The main factor for making for my decision in favor of DropBox was DropBox's selective sync. Apple does not give you that option. I don't want to upgrade my every machine to at least 0.5 -1TB SSD's or even bigger. And I do have machines, a lot of them.

With paid (well, paid enough version) DropBox you can set sync options - what to not sync, and what to sync. Some files are only on cloud,they have to be downloaded before use, and some files are proactively synced to your hard drive. They are ready for use anytime after background sync. You decide the synced files and folders by yourself.

So I downgraded my Apple iCloud to 200 GB/2,99€/month. I can still use it the same way if I want to, and I am still experimenting with it. It might mature enough according to my needs, some day.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Learn and get certified!