Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Inconsistent Startup Results

joelsdg
Enthusiast

This issue manifests in a few ways, but the short explanation is that when I try to open  a PLN file, I might see the Archicad startup screen and then...NOTHING.  The app just goes away. No crash report, bug reporter or anything else.  

I'm on MacOS, so I have an Archicad 25 icon in my Dock.  If I click on the icon, I see the AC25 splash screen and then shows my recently used files.  I double click on one, and after a few seconds the dot under the Dock icon just goes away.

I've tried double-clicking a PLN in Finder and a similar thing happens (with no active AC25 sessions running).  The Dock icon has a dot under it (indicating that it's running) and then the dot just goes away.

Or, if I have a session of Archicad open and I use the File/Open... pulldown menus to open a recent project, nothing happens.

Or, if I use the Open... pull down menu and use the resulting Finder window to navigate to a PLN file and click Open, nothing happens.

The frustrating part of this, is that I can't replicate it.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.  The only solution is to restart my computer. 

I apologize if all of my posts seem to be complaining, but I've been quietly using AC for 20+ years, and I don't have the time to be a more active participant in these forums.  But, now AC25 has had some serious issues that are killing my productivity and I can't quietly ignore these problems.

I've even done a full wipe and reinstall of MacOS to see if it that was the issue, but it didn't fix anything.

What is up, Graphisoft??

Joel

AC 6.5-26; macOS Ventura; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9
5 REPLIES 5

I have had this happen a few times but rarely. It may be unrelated but is always worth a try and fixes many issues I have had with Monterey. Have you tried rebooting in Safe Mode? This will clear a lot of issues that can relate to start-up of Apps. you could also try resetting the PRAM.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)
joelsdg
Enthusiast

Lee, 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've reset the SMC and PRAM.  I have had the issue occur once since the resets, it was the very first time I opened AC25 after the resets and restarting my computer a few times.

It has been an inconsistent problem, and I can't see how to replicate it.  so I'll just keep watching and see if it continues to happen.
I didn't start in Safe Mode because, if I recall correctly, it disables extensions and other startup processes that then I would have to some how chase down one by one to determine which is the culprit.  I don't have the skill (or time) to do that process efficiently.

Joel

Karl Ottenstein

@joelsdg Out of curiosity, what type of license protection do you have?  I have had some issues similar to yours with a physical (USB) Codemeter keyplug - which I've managed to half-resolve, but still I'm seeing huge delays which seem to correspond with the codemeter event log being filled with server not found and entry not found error messages.

(I'm still on Big Sur.)

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Karl, 

Our office started the transition to the software key licenses a few years ago.  I started with mine in 2018.  Then another in 2019 and the last one in 2020.

We were on the USB sticks before that, of course. 

I am curious, though, is there a way to clear out those old logs from the USB key, so I can see if that makes a difference?  Or were those deleted when we switched to soft keys?

Thanks for the help,

Joel

I don’t know if the logs would have been deleted, but they would have no impact as they were write only event logs.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB