BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Interactive Training Guide can not be installed !

Anonymous
Not applicable
I downloaded ArchiCAD Interactive Training Guide (all four archives plus the introduction movie) - but I can not install them.

The introduction WMV file plays ok but when I run he installer for any of the four tutorials, it decompresses the archive to a temp folder and then I get the following message:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: run Exception in thread "main"

and the installation process closes.

I downloaded the International English installers for Windows. I'm using Windows XP SP2. I have got the Sun Java installed on the system and it otherwise works ok.

I would be grateful for any help on how to install the tutorials.

BTW why such a complicated procedure, involving installers and Java etc.? It is not a software package, just a bunch of PDF and WMV files, after all -why not simply zip all the files and let the user unzip them after downloading, to a destination of choice?
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vista, go figure. 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeff wrote:
Vista, go figure. 😉
Thank you for the (useless...) comment... (isn't this supposed to be a professional, moderated forum?)

No, it is not Vista, it is only the "Vista Skin" for XP Pro that makes it look like Vista.
As I stated above, the system is XP Pro SP2 and I have the administrator rights.

I forgot to mention that I also tried installing on a complete different hardware configuration, one with "pure" XP Pro (no SP 2 and no extra "skins" etc.) and I got the same error message.

Please help, thank you!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Just a guess:
Maybe you have a Java problem.
Try to uninstall it and install the latest version from the web.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laslonagy, thank you for the tip. Unfortunately it seems it is not the java version that is causing the problem, I did the Java Version Check and it said i had the latest version installed.

Any other ideas?

BTW is it possible to get the tutorials in a simple, zipped form? or any other set of basic ArhiCAD 11 tutorials that cover all main aspects of the program ?

I need urgently (before the christmass holidays) a series of ArchiCAD 11 basic tutorials. I bought a CD but (besides that I hate narrated tutorials in general) it is almost useless as the author is an Australian and his accent is so strong that he is very difficult to understand, almost impossible! I mean, the narrating guy doesn't even try to speak correct English - no offence meant!

I'm afraid this all is casting a very bad shadow on the software firm. Unnecessarily complicated tutorial packagings, not much help on the dedicated forum (with exception and respect to mr. laszlonagy who was the only one in two days that at least tried to help!), commercial ($$$!) tutorials in narrated form that are almost un-understandable... I mean I wonder what can we expect if our company decides to switch to ArchiCAD (as it is the initial intention) and some serious problems with the software occur? Perhaps it will be more prudent if we stay with the Autodesk?

Thank you all and sorry for bothering...
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Rashanyn wrote:
Laslonagy, thank you for the tip. Unfortunately it seems it is not the java version that is causing the problem, I did the Java Version Check and it said i had the latest version installed.
Did you also un-install Java first as Laszlo suggested? It's possible your installation is up to date, but somehow corrupted or missing a vital component. If you un-install Java, you can force a completely fresh install.

I don't know what else to suggest - there isn't much to go on unfortunately. I think that explains the lack of responses too. I suspect your case is rare, or otherwise a number of others would respond with "me too."
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph Wessel, thank you. You're right, I haven't un-installed Java completely yet. I just did the version check. I'll do it and will let you know here what happened, just in rare case that someone else run into a similar problem. As you said, it must be a rare problem, otherwise the response would be more impressive.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Rashanyn wrote:
BTW is it possible to get the tutorials in a simple, zipped form? or any other set of basic ArhiCAD 11 tutorials that cover all main aspects of the program ?

... I bought a CD but (besides that I hate narrated tutorials in general) it is almost useless as the author is an Australian and his accent is so strong that he is very difficult to understand, almost impossible! I mean, the narrating guy doesn't even try to speak correct English - no offence meant!
If spoken instruction with screenshots doesn't do it for you, I wonder what it is you're after? What would it be to make you happy and would would suit your learning style?

Would you prefer to just read and work through exercises? Would you like to get by with just the Reference manual? Do you want existing projects to work on?

What exactly is it that you want? What training solutions does AutoDesk have that are superior?

Interested...

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
If spoken instruction with screenshots doesn't do it for you, I wonder what it is you're after? What would it be to make you happy and would would suit your learning style?

Would you prefer to just read and work through exercises? Would you like to get by with just the Reference manual? Do you want existing projects to work on?

What exactly is it that you want? What training solutions does AutoDesk have that are superior?

Interested...

Cheers,
Link.
Link, thank you for your interest.

No need to get excited, though (seems you are, I appologize if I'm wrong). I also appologize if you misunderstood my previous comments. It was not my intention to attack anyone, especially not the Graphisoft or Nemetschek. Actually I've been the only one in our firm in the last three or so years trying to convince our bosses that working with the virtual building model is the next step in architecture/civil engineering drafting (either in ArchiCAD, Allplan or AcadBAu) and that AutoCAD is a sort of a CAD dinosaur.

I never said that Autodesk tutorials were superior. The fact is, though, that I never had to 'install' their tutorials - unnecessary installation procedures are a sort of 'asking for trouble', one installs software but not tutorials, come on...

As for my personal preferences regarding tutorials: yes, I dislike the narrated videotutorials, I'd always prefer a written tutorial. A written tutorial is much easier to follow, to browse, to go back to a certain sentence or other important info, to copypaste parts to private notes for further reference; there's no loads of unnecessary visual info in between, you only get the important, crucial screenshots... I could go on and on.

But, unfortunately (as those of us who write tutorials know very well), a written tutorial is much more difficult to create, it takes more time and every word counts, so the author must be very careful, crucial screenshots have to be selected, prepared... etc. That's imho where the recent trend of narrated tutorials comes from: lazy authors looking for the easiest way to get the money, since it is much easier to dictate in a microphone than to use the keyboard and prepare a proper tutorial. Plus you don't have to worry that someone might steal your tutorials etc.

But again - I said I disliked narrated tutorials, I didn't say I didn't want them. To answer to your question:

1. I want a tutorial (narrated or written) that I can use i.e. run on a normal computer running a normal operating system, without having to install it first. W-T-F??? - tutorials are videos or html or pdf files plus example files - all you need is to pack them in a zip or sit file, no need for java stuff, installers and god knows what. Autodesk (and other software firms) seems to know how to make them and Graphisoft (obviously and unfortunately) seems not i.e. tends to overcomplicate simple stuff. A Mac legacy, I guess...

2. I want a tutorial that I can understand. I'm not a native English speaker (like the majority of architect and other CAD users all around the world are not - and contrary to what some people in USA, UK or Australia might think...). Nevertheless I can assure you I've been using English as a second language long enough to have no problems understanding anyone, a native (US, Canada, England, Scotland, Ireland, even Australia and NZ...) or "second language"speaker, if he/she at least try to speak a normal, educated English and not some sort of a local, countryside "mishmash".

The Australian guy in the tutorial I mentioned is doing exactly that: using a sort of a local everyday slang that perhaps people from Sydney or Melbourne could understand, and perhaps even some other native English speakers from other corners of the world (I doubt!) . I'm 100% sure everybody else buying the tutorial had problems understanding him. I intentionally don't want to mention the name of the product (tutorial) or the narrator here in public.

Am I asking too much?

I hope I satisfied your curiosity and answered your question. If there is anything else regarding my personal opinions or views that you don't understand or find strange, feel free to ask as well, I'll gladly try to explain, that's what forums like this one are for.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Rashanyn wrote:
No need to get excited, though (seems you are, I appologize if I'm wrong).
Not really excited, more incredulous. I did appreciate your comments though and agree with you to an extent. Although, unless we go to neautral accent classes, it would be hard to achieve what you want. Everyone has an accent right?
Rashanyn wrote:
If there is anything else regarding my personal opinions or views that you don't understand or find strange, feel free to ask as well, I'll gladly try to explain, that's what forums like this one are for.
I may just do that.

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!