BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Lag Time In Elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am getting lag in my elevation window. There is a slight lag between clicking on an object or polygon and it responding. The 'lasso' is jittery and hangs when I try to sweep it over the area I wish to select. The same is true of the zoom selection box. I think this is a problem with my graphics card/ driver (ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb)(6.14.10.6497)??? The 3d window is just fine. Renderings seem to be fine.

There is also a slight lag on 2d screen when I pan. If there is text in the window it scrolls much more slowly (hourglass at each press of the arrow key).

I have none of these problems when I use my laptop (nvidea 64mb) Pentium 4 3.2 HP zd 7000 512 mb ram. Scrolls smooth with 0 lag time in elevation.

It seems that my machine should be able to handle it with no problem....
I have played with configurations, turning off 3d card, acceleration in 2d window, and seem to have some difference. But the software run 2d has it's own issues (slow redraw when scroll and awful text)

My desktop is a dell 8300, pent 4 3.0 w/ 1.3 gig ram. xp pro, ac 9.0.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Djordje
Ace
g.h.design wrote:
There is also a slight lag on 2d screen when I pan. If there is text in the window it scrolls much more slowly (hourglass at each press of the arrow key).
Is 2D OpenGL on?

Try also http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=28087#28087

ATI ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I have OpenGL 2d on. I have tried it with it off and the results are mixed. The lag time for scrolling goes way up if there is any text on screen with OpenGL off. And the text looks pretty bad. I think it may help some what in the elevation window. Another thing is, that if I turn off the terrain meshes it speeds things up.
Djordje
Ace
g.h.design wrote:
Yes, I have OpenGL 2d on. I have tried it with it off and the results are mixed. The lag time for scrolling goes way up if there is any text on screen with OpenGL off. And the text looks pretty bad. I think it may help some what in the elevation window. Another thing is, that if I turn off the terrain meshes it speeds things up.
Did you run the graphics card test from the Forum? Graphic card test, bottom left on the main page? I am also cursed by ATI both at home and at work, and found the results to be mixed, but definitely better without OpenGL in 2D.

It might be that you need a driver update, and also look at the driver tip i posted the link to in the previous message.

Lots of vectorial fills maybe? THAT will slow down any video card, no matter what it is. Is maybe the surface fill on for the mesh?

Now I wish Santa brings you a new nVidia tonight
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the christmas wish...

I thought it was the card. Do you know of a card that works with AC? I looked at the posts @ graphisoft but not many have posted.

I have run the test and it all looks ok but in practice runs very slow.

The driver post is for the mobile ati card but do you think it would help on my desktop? Driver is latest and greatest so will try investigating my use of vectorial fill and see if I can minimze their use.

Thanks
Karl Ottenstein
g.h.design wrote:
This behavior doesn't make sense to me ... running on a very similar machine, but with the ATI 9700 Pro card. If anything, text would look bad with OpenGL (potentially polygonal edges and other issues). Running without 2D OpenGL, the text should always look reasonably good.

Many of us here are quite unclear about why GS introduced 2D OpenGL as it is confusing to users and, by most reports, results in slower performance. 3D OpenGL, of course is another matter! 😉

I have instant response, as you're seeing on your laptop, but am still running the *.6476 ATI driver.

Are your 2D redraw settings as shown in the screenshot below?

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
mmm....

This morning it is working fine with the open gl off as per your screen shot. I can not replicate my prior condition with the text washed out and scroll lagging. I have tried all the settings and seems to be working. Maybe the newest ATI driver?
I downloaded some software (driver cleaner 3) as suggested per a post here and re-installed the newest driver. It cleaned out all prior driver files and control panels and things seem to have improved. I am working today. I will see if conditions are indeed better.

Thanks, I will follow up with a post.
Djordje
Ace
g.h.design wrote:
mmm.... This morning it is working fine with the open gl off as per your screen shot.
Did you do the test?

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/OpenGL_Test_file/ArchiCAD9_OpenGL_Test.zip
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I ran the test again and got fairly solid results. Some jagged edges on the transparency test and maybe some very minor striping on the font /precise/ outline. Did get a bug in the wireframe model. When the 3d window opened it would be blank until I either zoomed or panned. Rendered fine with all other settings.

As I have been working today I am getting some bugs in 3d that I have never had. Very poor alignment of edges and the walk thru tool was operating at jet speed at all perspective settings. It was looking like my roofs were not meeting at ridges and slabs were cut from walls. When I went to the 2d window to check and then back to 3d all was back to normal along with the walk thru speed. And, as I type this the 3d card's fan is humming. I am noticing that the fan speed goes up as the open gl gets buggier. It is not unusually warm in my office. I noticed that before when I was having trouble in my elevation window. The fan would be eventually humming at full speed.

Maybe I should be calling Dell? Fairly new computer (3mos). Seems to me the graphics card is not functioning properly.
Learn and get certified!