Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Launch New Instance of ArchiCAD - Doesn't Open Selected File

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I try to open a file using the File=>Open=>Launch New Instance Button method, the file doesn't open, but opens a new instance with a blank file, so I have to wait for that file to open completely, then open the file I want AGAIN.

I'm working in both AC12 and AC13, and it doesn't work in either version. I update faithfully, so I have the latest builds in both of them.

Any suggestions?

Megan
Mac OS X 10.5.8 on an old 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo with a brand new HD
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Megan:

Make sure that you have the ArchiCAD file that you want to open selected in the Open File dialog box.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do have the file selected... I've tried checking the box first, then selecting the file (it's highlighted in blue), and doing selecting the file, then checking the box. Nothing works. I guess it's just a bug. In my program alone. For some reason.
Erika Epstein
Booster
You should be opening the application, archicad, first. The opening splashwindow gives you the choice to open an existing file or a new one.

Please add your version of archicad and computer specs to your profile.

If you still have trouble, reinstall archicad making sure your antivirus is disabled etc.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
To bring an old post back to life... Our office has been experiencing this problem. Several of the people in the office are having an untitled project opening when selecting a second file and using "Open new instance of Archicad". It doesn't happen on all of the machines, but I cannot figure out what the differences are. I have tried importing my work environment, thinking that was causing it, but it still opens a untitled for the second project.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, what I managed to do to fix at least one of the computers...
First repair permissions; then go the users Library/Preferences/and delete:

com.graphisoft.AC 14.0.0 USA v1.plist
com.graphisoft.AC USA v1.plist

Also look in the the users Library/Preferences/Graphisoft/AC 14.0.0 USA v1/x 86 and delete:

ArchiCAD 14 DialPos.Prefs
ArchiCAD Basic.Prefs

Archicad will recreate these preference files and the only thing you seem to loose is the previously opened list of files.

Like I said, this fix worked for one of our machines, but I still have several others to go.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Megan,

I had the same problem and the way it has work on my Archicad 13 is by opening a NEW file launching a new instance, then, once it has loaded the program, I load the file I want to work on.

I hope this is helpful.

Jorge Avila, Architect