BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Legacy files using LION

Aussie John
Newcomer
Does anyone know what options might be available for opening older files (v5) without Rosetta?
EDIT: See post below - this Q was in relation to LION
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
8 REPLIES 8
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If I understood correctly, according to this page:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/Fileconverter.html

you can use the ArchiCAD 7 File converter to open those files.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
laszlonagy wrote:
you can use the ArchiCAD 7 File converter to open those files.
Rosetta runs PPC apps on an Intel chip. AC 10 was the 1st Intel AC app, so you need Rosetta (eliminated from Lion) to run AC 7.

Aussie John:
You signature shows OSX10.5.8, why can you not run Rosetta?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Aussie John
Newcomer
Actually this post was supposed to be appended to the thread on Lion and my question should be based on how would I access the Rosetta based files if I was running Lion.

So seems I would ArchiCAD 9 INT file converter for v5 v6 v7 and v8 files.
Then open again in v12 and save.

Anyone tried this it in LION? or will I (and many others) have to update legacy files before upgrading to LION.

And yes my sig was out of date.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Karl Ottenstein
Aussie wrote:
So seems I would ArchiCAD 9 INT file converter for v5 v6 v7 and v8 files.
Then open again in v12 and save.

Anyone tried this it in LION? or will I (and many others) have to update legacy files before upgrading to LION.
No, you cannot run the 9 INT file converter under Lion - because it is not an Intel app. Lion can ONLY run Intel apps.

ArchiCAD 10 (Intel) can open files from version 6.5 onwards. So, if you have version 5 files, as you state - your only option is to convert them using the 9 converter BEFORE upgrading to Lion. But, you would be much safer to completely CLONE your current OS to an external firewire drive (or an internal partition) before upgrading to Lion so that you'll always be able to boot back to a Rosetta-supporting OS in case you find that you forgot to convert something.

BTW: the "INT" for the 9 converter is for International, not Intel. It is still a PPC app.

Cheers,
Karl

http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD%20versions
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have never been able to retrieve any of our old ArchiCAD 6.5 and above files using the ArchiCAD 10 Converter package on Lion. I consistently get the "Input file is incorrect or memory is full" error message each time I try to open a file. Other (Mac) computers in our office on earlier operating systems are able to open the same files without problems so it's not like the files are corrupt. Has anyone else encountered this issue / found a work-around?

I tried downloading a CodeMeterEnabler package for 10 specifically (here: http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/WIBU.html) with the hope that it would somehow prime the converter package but to no avail.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Upgraded to the newer Mountain Lion operating system over the weekend. The problem remains (no surprise) but I did take a tip from another thread and tried renaming the extension on the old file to a .mod which at least allows you to salvage some of the modelspace file information on opening.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
dirty goat,

First, remove the ArchiCAD 10 converter folder from the Applications/Graphisoft folder if that is where you placed it. You can just move it to the desktop for now. Then try running the full installer for ArchiCAD 10. Although it is not officially supported on Lion/Mtn Lion, it is known to work in certain circumstances. We previously posted downloads of ArchiCAD on CNET's website http://www.download.com and luckily it is still there. Just visit the site and search for ArchiCAD 10 (plus Language and Mactel vs. PPC). In your case search for "ArchiCAD 10 USA Mactel." Disregard the "Student Edition" label. All of our installers are identical across the board in terms of user type (student, professional, trial). It is your license that enables proper functionality.

I hope this helps.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the response NCornia. I did as you suggested — removed the ArchiCAD 10 Converter contents from my Applications folder and installed the AC10-USA-Mactel.dmg file off of download.com. The installed program appears to be functional, however I get the same error message when I try to open ArchiCAD versions 6.5 thru 7.0 — "Input file is incorrect or memory is full".

I should note that both the AC10 Converter program and the regular AC10 program can open ArchiCAD 9 files. Upon opening there is an error message that says: "Error while loading plan file! Module: Attributes [Stop loading][Ignore error and continue]"
But I am able to continue through and the original drawing content appears to be there. I don't know if this is a clue to the problem with the AC 6.5 or 7.0 versions or if it's something else.
Learn and get certified!