Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac Users: Do not upgrade to macOS 14.0 Sonoma before reading this...

Karl Ottenstein

macOS 14.0 Sonoma was released today (September 26, 2023).  Every year, a bunch of folks immediately upgrade and then start posting here about things that don't work.  Don't be one of those people 😀 Instead, first read Norbert Kucsma's official Graphisoft article on Sonoma compatibility here:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Installation-update/macOS-14-Sonoma/ta-p/385787

Edit:  See Norbert's message below that 26 and 27 are compatible today.  However, it is worth reviewing the issues in the article linked above to see if they will impact you enough that you'd want to wait for the next updates to each of those versions.

In particular, note in the article that Archicad 23 and earlier will not even start under Sonoma.  If you are still using 23 or earlier, please do not upgrade your macOS!

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
41 REPLIES 41
Karl Ottenstein

It is 5 months since the article on issues with Sonoma was published by Graphisoft, and an update with full resolution has still not been released.

I continue to recommend that Mac users NOT upgrade to Sonoma.   It would be nice if Graphisoft would comment on why it is taking them so long to release a full compatibility update.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

I too wonder why it’s taking so long!

And for those of us who have upgraded and can't go back the struggles are real - let's call it what it is... The grey screen of death. ☠️ No mention of that in the reasons not to update to macOS either.

Draw - Change to 3D window - Die - Repeat.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

It's really odd that I am not seeing any of these issue with AC27 but I am on Silicon version so I am not sure if that makes much of a difference.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

I think it probably makes a BIG difference. I would be surprised if GS haven't already made a decision to drop Intel support sooner than later. It may be the bigger companies have all moved to ARM anyway, so it's just the smaller main stream businesses who try to squeeze every minute out of their investment that will loose out with a big IT upgrade bill. Some smug enriched senior GS officers will just shrug their shoulders and say "Not our problem."

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
DGSketcher
Legend

What will be really annoying though is to bite the bullet on an ARM upgrade and then find the current range of problems and bugs continue regardless.

cmmccoy
Contributor

Just wondering why Graphisoft has not issued a fix for the issues I'm still encountering. Seriously, how many months must we wait? My biggest issue remains "Editing Autotext Label while Caps Lock is active crashes Archicad". I'm sure most professionals are typing with the caps lock "on" when drafting. It's annoying to have to remember to turn it off when editing...and if you forget...BOOM, the program crashes. PLEASE DO SOMETHING! And by the way, I'm tired of being told to wait for a few months after a new OS breaks ground to actually install it. I mean, seriously?! Can't a programmer figure this out already?!&%#

archislave
Enthusiast

The team should just focus on Apple Silicon and the current macOS. They had the beta version of Sonoma well before it was released in June 2023. So they had had all that time to test it with the forthcoming Archicad 27. It seem that they are very short handed or don't care about the Mac. Very odd since it runs on the a brilliant processor. 

Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
Sinisa Lazarevic
Contributor

I think it was mentioned earlier and as I was back to work tried to do some testing in regards to CAPS lock issue. I have not encountered this problem on Apple Silicon since AC27 upgrade to 4030 version on Sonoma. But then last time it happened it was completely random crash with previous AC27 and earlier version of Sonoma. Maybe stars have aligned by now.

Eduardo Rolon

Caps lock issue is still there in 4030. Have had it happen on current work files

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator