BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

MacOS Sierra for ArchiCAD 18 and older

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been waiting for information with regard to updating my Mac to macOS Sierra and have just seen this information on the Graphisoft Website:

"Compatibility Updates will not be available for ARCHICAD 18 and older, ARCHICAD 18 Solo and older, ARCHICAD SE2016 and older".

Am I to assume that there will not be any updates at all for ArchiCAD 18 and older or are we to wait until there is an update?

I am currently running ArchiCAD 18 and would hate to miss out on the new OS.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
If history is any guide then GRAPHISOFT normally updates only the latest two versions in case a new operating system comes out (they have to stop updating older versions at some point because otherwise a lot of development resources will go into just maintaining compatibility of older versions). In this case this means ARCHICAD 19 and 20. I think what they say on the Help Center page:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/operating-systems/mac-os-x-10-12-sierra/

is pretty straightforward to me:
Compatibility Updates will not be available for ARCHICAD 18 and older, ARCHICAD 18 Solo and older, ARCHICAD SE2016 and older.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Sierra isn't excactly behaving with 20 either at the moment, from what I can tell from some posts on the forum. I have it running at home, I haven't noticed much difference between El Capitan. El Capitan ran fine, so does Sierra. Style wise it's still the look that came in with Yosemite.

I suppose if you like talking to your computer, you'll want Siri
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
DGSketcher
Legend
I'm struggling to see any benefit from Sierra. With hind sight I should have stuck with El Capitan until the next AC20 fix is released, but I guess some of us have to be Beta+ testers.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Well, you can unlock your computer with your Apple Watch now

It does of course come with security updates and some more quality of life improvements, but it doesn't render El Capitan unusable.

For now we're sticking with El Capitan until the hotfix/update comes that deals with some of the issues like the scrolling that is mentioned on the forum.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!