Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Moving From Windows to Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully this is a simple question 🙂

I am considering replacing my windows pc with an iMac and would like to know if there are any known issues i.e. will the dongle work, will all drawing files open ok etc. I'm running ArchiCAD 12 with a USB dongle.
Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
owen
Newcomer
AC is great on an iMac .. you have nothing to worry about there. Some older models using ATI cards did have a graphics bug triggered by intensive GPU usage, but this was not an AC specific thing and is not a problem on any of the newer machines.

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Eduardo Rolon
Actually there is an issue with the current iMacs and ATI graphics again that causes freezing.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/imac-owners-reporting-issues-with-radeon-hd-4850-chipset.a...

To avoid the issue get one with a Nvidia video card.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

owen
Newcomer
AGAIN?!

Thanks ejrolon, I read Ars every day yet somehow managed to miss that one.

The problem was 'fixed' in that Apple swapped to NVIDIA cards as the default graphics card. The problem with the ATI cards was not limited to iMacs .. my old firm had a whole batch of new Mac Pros suffering the same problem until we got the cards switched to NVIDIA. This must be pretty embarrassing for Apple to have the same problem again. I wonder why they even offer the ATI cards as an 'upgrade' option when they must know they have heat issues (surely they do some heavy stress testing internally).
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies 🙂
my only concern was the dongle, it had been hinted to me that there was a different dongle for mac and windows but i couldn't understand why.
Erich
Contributor
No the dongles are the same for both machines. I switch back and forth throughout the week as needed.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K