BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New Software Key System Notice

Brad Elliott
Booster
Just received an email from Graphisoft saying they are switching my WIBU Key to a Software Key and if I want a hardware key I have to let them know by March 31. Is anyone familiar with this?
There is a lot of information but I am still not clear on something. They discuss transferring a key and releasing keys from a 'Company License Pool'. I have one key. With this process if I want to work at home do I need to have "released" the key from my office computer first? This seems ridiculous. If my key is in a Pool (with plenty of sunscreen and an umbrella drink I'm sure) I would think that all I would have to do would be to grab it from any computer with an internet connection.
If I have to release and claim every time I want to move wouldn't it just be easier to have the key? That seems faster than logging in to a website every time. And if I have forgotten to release the key I'm stuck anyway. Just like with a hardware key.
Also, What happens when I don't have an internet connection? I still have that situation on occasion.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
14 REPLIES 14
RandyC
Advocate
Also, if you loose the key when your computer packs it in you have to apply to Graphisoft for a replacement key. I have had several computers pack it in over the years - sounds like a lot of extra work to me.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do remember reading that AC18 is the last version to work with Wibukey, which is what I have, but I thought I could just swap it for a Codemeter key, I hope this is the case.
Stress Co_
Advisor
More info here:
Software Key FAQ
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
aahatimo
Newcomer
Sounds great to me! Pretty tired of seeing the dongle hanging out for potential damage of my Macbook pro and making certain it is with me for out of the office meetings. If I change my workflow to a desktop for office and use macbook for traveling or meetings I need to review documentation and see what I think.
Back when I used Chief Architect they had options to use either software or hardware keys, not sure how this will differ but should be improved since that was 10+ years ago.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Brad Elliott
Booster
The FAQ's are nice but they don't answer my main question. If I'm on a different computer can I log in to the Company License Pool and kick a user out of the pool so I can grab a key. Similar to when ArchiCAD comes up with a warning file that 'SuchandSuch' is in use by user X do you want to take control of the file? So if I forgot to log out a computer and am now many miles away I can still use the key. If I can do that this is an easy change to make.
Mac OS12.6 AC26 USA Silicon
M1 Macbook Pro
arg617
Contributor
will an internet connection always be needed when using the program?
Eduardo Rolon
Brad wrote:
The FAQ's are nice but they don't answer my main question. If I'm on a different computer can I log in to the Company License Pool and kick a user out of the pool so I can grab a key. Similar to when ArchiCAD comes up with a warning file that 'SuchandSuch' is in use by user X do you want to take control of the file? So if I forgot to log out a computer and am now many miles away I can still use the key. If I can do that this is an easy change to make.
I have the same concern and for now I am leaning to keep the Hardware Key.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
The deal breaker for not using the software key:
How can I transfer a software key from one computer to another?

The basic idea is that you can return a software key to your ‘Company License Pool’ and then download it again on a different computer. If you have a valid Software Service Agreement (SSA), then you can do this as many times you want. Without SSA, you can do this 5 times a year
I don't know why there is a limit if not in SSA there should not be.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein
ejrolon wrote:
The deal breaker for not using the software key:
How can I transfer a software key from one computer to another?

The basic idea is that you can return a software key to your ‘Company License Pool’ and then download it again on a different computer. If you have a valid Software Service Agreement (SSA), then you can do this as many times you want. Without SSA, you can do this 5 times a year
I don't know why there is a limit if not in SSA there should not be.
Agree. For example, Abvent's key for Artlantis is via internet activation/return... but has always had no limits, so no problem going back and forth between machines. The only extremely rare issue has been if their servers were down and the return/check-out process could not be done until the servers were back up.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Learn and get certified!