Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

New System Spec Enquiry

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all,
I've decided to upgrade my old machine to I hope a much faster one. I'm using A C 11 but during the refresh I can put the kettle on !

Could anyone let me know if the following specs for the new machine would be OK ?

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2x3.00GHz) 1333 Mhz FSB/6MB L2 Cache
4GB CORSAIR DDR2 667 MHz - (2 x 2GB)
64 BIT WINDOWS VISTA ULTIMATE
1024MB GFORCE 8800GT PCI Express + DVI

It may not be the best - but for the money I'm tempted to buy this system.
Would there be any real problems with it you could let me know about !

many thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Get a machine with as many cores as possible as lightworks (and artlantis?) will use them all. Two quadcores would be good at the moment. Extra processor speed will help AC run quicker generally, but extra cores will make rendering quicker.

Is it possible to get XP specified, as ArchiCAD still doesn't quite work properly with Vista.

One of the only reasons to want to use a 64bit operating system is to be able to use any extra RAM the system has. Specify 8gb or you wont see much difference over 3.2gb that a 32bit system will be able to use.

The graphics card is pretty good though. It will make navigating in the 3d window nice and smooth!

The system you specified will run AC well I expect, but you may have problems with vista, and any extra cores will make it more future proof.

Hope thats helpful in some way!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just out of curiousity - how much do you have to spend? How often do you upgrade?

Personally, I think you get more for your money if you don't ride the crest of early adopters and purchase a machine with better than average, but not top of the line, specs. Then replace this machine more often.
Dwight
Newcomer
Or use the money saved not buying the top of the line CPU with more ram and a bigger video card - things that might do you better in the long run.

A bigger video card is money well spent.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you guy's. Much appreciated, and will definetely think again.

The quote for that particular system is £790, and I've had my present system for just on 4 years now.

Many thanks,