Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

Object coordinates calculation using tracker

INTEXHOMES
Booster

If I needed to move an object, I used to do + or - to the relevant coordinates. For example, if I need to move an object 5" from the point, I would drag the object to the point, hit D and type 5"-. The tracker would calculate the distance for me.  Now, for some reason, if I enter minus, nothing happens. It works if I enter plus or multiply. Any clue what can cause this? 

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma 14.3

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso

INTEXHOMES:

If your Working Units are set to Feet & Inches, then you need to enter a second "-" to set the negative direction (the first "-" is the separator between feet and inches). If your Working Units are set to Inches, then it will work as you described.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

View solution in original post

Solution

Try 2'-- (double minus).

I don't use imperial but I believe the firs minus means inches.

That is why 2'0"- 2'-0"- works, because you have specified the inches.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso

INTEXHOMES:

If your Working Units are set to Feet & Inches, then you need to enter a second "-" to set the negative direction (the first "-" is the separator between feet and inches). If your Working Units are set to Inches, then it will work as you described.

David

www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

I see. So, I found the right syntax for the command in the imperial system. To subtract, I have to enter 2'-0"- that will take 2 feet off the overall distance. To add, I can just do 2'+, and it will add. I did 2'- before or 2'4" - and it didn't work for subtraction, but worked for +.

Solution

Try 2'-- (double minus).

I don't use imperial but I believe the firs minus means inches.

That is why 2'0"- 2'-0"- works, because you have specified the inches.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

2'0" minus (-) doesn't work. 2'-0" minus (-)  works. Now, double minus works. This is perfect. Thanks! So I do 2' - - and it subtracts 2 feet, or if I do 4" - - it subtracts 4 inches. That's exactly what I was looking for. 

@INTEXHOMES wrote:

2'0" minus (-) doesn't work. 2'-0" minus (-)  works.

Sorry typo - I meant 2'-0"-

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@INTEXHOMES wrote:

So I do 2' - - and it subtracts 2 feet, 

You don't need the foot indicator ( ' ) when moving in whole feet, just type "2 - -". When no foot or inch indicator os used, ArchiCAD assumes the unit is feet when the Working Units are set to Feet & Inches.

David

www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture

Setup info provided by author