Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Opening object expands Archicad window beyond screen, no way back (24US, MacOs 10.14.6 laptop)

I have a rather thick (three-line) Info Box up top. When I open an object (Cmd-Opt-O), the “unified window” expands down beyond the limits of my screen, and no Work Enviroment restoration nor anything will bring it back into the observable universe except quitting. I am quite sure this didn't happen before. AC 24 US 4018, MacOS 10.14.6 laptop.
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will report this to GRAPHISOFT.
Could you post a screenshot of this so it is easier to see the exact issue?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
While preparing this demo I discovered the problem is the docked tab only. Undocking it will restore the unified window dimensions.
Screen video in
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rqzvoe6ulruiyo/problematic%20docked%20tab.mov?dl=0
LaszloNagy wrote:
I will report this to GRAPHISOFT.
Could you post a screenshot of this so it is easier to see the exact issue?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Ignacio,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the experience!

I tried with different Archicad versions and builds on both macOS and Windows and believe that this is the limitation on macOS. Archicad will automatically expand its window to the largest required size by any opened dialog, and with macOS, this accidentally pushes the lower part down to the dock's area. Unfortunately, the only way to get around it is by undocking the object editor as you mentioned.

Please let me know if it answers your question!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

I just checked and something similar happens in 22 and 20, I wonder how I had never noticed it. It is not related to the Mac Dock (if that was what you meant), and not even to the screen size — even when everything fits within the screen, the bottom Archicad palettes go blank. Thanks for checking it out anyway.

mnguyen wrote:
Dear Ignacio,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the experience!

I tried with different Archicad versions and builds on both macOS and Windows and believe that this is the limitation on macOS. Archicad will automatically expand its window to the largest required size by any opened dialog, and with macOS, this accidentally pushes the lower part down to the dock's area. Unfortunately, the only way to get around it is by undocking the object editor as you mentioned.

Please let me know if it answers your question!

Best regards,
Minh
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Ignacio,

Thanks for the feedback!

I was unable to replicate the blank palettes at the bottom though. In your video, the Dock covered the bottom part of Archicad interface, so we couldn't really see what happened. When you moved the window upward, we saw that the bottom palettes were still visible in the floorplan, so they certainly were not empty. Or maybe I misunderstood something?

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

[Sorry about the palettes comment, that was late night disorientation.]

The problem is the unified window gets larger than screen size, regardless of Dock. When all the windows get shown (“Mission Control”, whatever) they show content that was previously beyond screen. Closing the object window will restore the unified window dimensions too. It will be clearer with hidden Dock:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4q3299rzsyut18r/Problematic%202.mov?dl=0

That didn't happen in 22.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Ignacio,

Thanks for the clarification!
Unfortunately, it was the same for Archicad 24, 23 and 22 in my test. The total window size will still expand towards the bottom when you open the object editor, if the available space is not enough on top. I couldn't keep the window size even with Archicad 22

Best regards,
Minh

P/s: I made a small video here, showing my reproduction on AC23 and 22: https://graphisoft.sharefile.com/d-s517f3febc41b4846a7d3f11a7fc28c6d
Please let me know if I miss anything!

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT