Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Outrageous WIBU replacement policy

lagodue
Newcomer
I have not used AC for about 5 years, but now have 15 and a new IMac. AC only sees the dongle intermittently so GS support says the key has 'gone bad' and needs to be replaced. With 3 day ground shipping this is $205 !!! (My subscription expired in June 2011.) It is also difficult to believe the key is 'going bad' after only extremely limited use.
Aside from the price gouge, why is GS still using these stoooopit hardware keys?
Tom
"Bob" - Church of the Sub-Genius
Graphisoft afficionado since 1993
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree, the use of Wibu-key and code-meter is extremly user unfriendly. As soon as something goes wrong it takes outrages amount of time to get it fixed or replaced and the risk of halting production i ridiculus.

Graphisoft sincerly need to consider a software alternative without troubling hardware keys.

Users of this product need reliance and ease of use.
Other passkey-systems work for most major softwares so why not ArchiCad?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lagodue wrote:
GS support says the key has 'gone bad' and needs to be replaced. With 3 day ground shipping this is $205 !!! (My subscription expired in June 2011.) Aside from the price gouge, why is GS still using these stoooopit hardware keys?
This kind of gouging has to stop. One of my FrameWright customers bought ArchiCAD 3 years ago, and the WIBU key is now intermittently failing. The quote to swap it? £239 (about US$380)!

The keyplug is a source of endless irritation and loss of productively (even when it works). Its sole purpose is protection for Graphisoft - there is no benefit whatsoever to the customer - but the customer has to pay for it.

Graphisoft - I understand from a personal perspective what a terrible cost piracy can exact from a software company, but we need a system that doesn't inflict so much pain on legitimate, paying customers.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Anonymous
Not applicable
Does Graphisoft even read anything on this forum? Have they ever implemented anything requested/suggested here?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
vincon2 wrote:
Does Graphisoft even read anything on this forum? Have they ever implemented anything requested/suggested here?
In answer to your questions, "yes", and "sometimes". It would be impossible to combine everything requested here, so we need to be patient and understanding. But that shouldn't prevent is from voicing concerns or objections.

I feel very strongly that this kind of anti-piracy measure makes Graphisoft look bad. Outside of ArchiCAD, not a single product I work with is so draconian. No mechanism can prevent piracy - they are all cracked in the end. The pirates don't suffer, but a poorly design scheme can hurt paying customers.

And charging for faulty keyplugs adds injury to insult. Aside from the fact that they should probably be replaced or repaired under normal consumer laws, the keys aren't worth anything like £239 - I feel embarrassed working with companies that set policies like that.

Perhaps the majority are comfortable with this arrangement. It would be good to hear more opinions, especially if you support key plugs. But personally, I hope Graphisoft will seek a friendlier solution as soon as possible.
Ralph Wessel BArch
aahatimo
Newcomer
another reason to come up with a better, less intrusive security measure: my new retina macbook pro looks like, well you know, with my v7 'dongle' hanging precariously off one of the 2 usb ports. definitely does not look like it goes with a 21st century state of the art architectural design program.
many of us pay an annual subscription for upgrades, how about upgrading this system? it is way past time!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
aahatimo wrote:
another reason to come up with a better, less intrusive security measure: my new retina macbook pro looks like, well you know, with my v7 'dongle' hanging precariously off one of the 2 usb ports. definitely does not look like it goes with a 21st century state of the art architectural design program.
many of us pay an annual subscription for upgrades, how about upgrading this system? it is way past time!
something like this would be nice:

aahatimo
Newcomer
thanks for the pic!!!
that would be a grew start, especially if it allowed daisy chaining for temp usb usage. could leave it in port when packing up to go to clients.
even better would be no key at all, chief architect had both security versions 10 years ago.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!