Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Plotting (Scripting?) question for Mac

Anonymous
Not applicable
In our office, we have trouble tracking plotting reimbursibles. We use PlotFlow, but some of the names in its log can't be attributed to projects. Unfortunately, we just can't get everyone to save layouts with identifiable names, so we'd like to identify them automatically.

My idea is to have a Mac OSX script which will look at the spooled .plt files for header information (i.e. find which .plp file generated it) and record it.

TWO QUESTIONS:

- Does ArchiCAD add such a header to .plt files? From what little I understand, adding headers is common but not universal. Looking at a file in TextEdit, I don't see one, but it's all in hexadecimal, and I didn't venture into that. (IF it doesn't add the header, could it be changed to do that?)

- If the answer is yes, can AppleScript record the header information, or do we need something else? We'd probably hire a consultant to write the script, but we'd like to start with as much information as possible.

AND A THIRD QUESTION:

- Is there a better way to keep an account of plots, one which doesn't rely on layout names? Or, is there a way for a script in ArchiCAD to add a job suffix to plot files when they are sent?

Thanks,

Matt
2 REPLIES 2
Chazz
Enthusiast
great topic. Unfortunately I have little to add. There are (or have been) applications that deal with it at the print dialog (ie you have to charge the print run to a job before it will let you hit print). A company here in Santa Cruz developed such a system used by Kinko's, the copy shop. The developers went out of business. Someone else must do something similar.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Thomas Holm
Booster
MHMartin wrote:
...we just can't get everyone to save layouts with identifiable names...
maybe a whip is the simplest solution?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1