Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Possible bug? Multiple AC Windows

Anonymous
Not applicable
ever since i started using AC (ac11) I very commonly have 2-4 AC Projects open at once bouncing back and forth between them. iv not had a single issue doing this from in any of the versions (11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
ever since iv moved to AC18, more often than not, if i have an AC window open (A) and i open a second (B), window A will struggle extremely while B will cruise along without issue.. A is so bad i will have to close it and only reopen it after i have shut B back down.

is this something anyone else is experiencing? or known problem?

cheers
Gene
16 REPLIES 16
Marton Kiss
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Gene,

so far we haven't had similar reports with regards to ArchiCAD 18, so we should investigate this from scratch.

When you have two ArchiCAD sessions open, there is communication between that two. That brings the possibility to e.g. drag and drop content in organizer between the two projects and things like that.

A few ideas:
- try to open two empty files (ArchiCAD stock template) to see if the slowness arises
- close all other applications for a test, temporarily disable the AntiVirus software (before that disconnect all network connections)
- if you have a network license, try to connect the license key directly to the computer

Let me know the results,
Marton
Marton Kiss
VP, Product Success
GRAPHISOFT
David Collins
Advocate
Marton,

I've also seen this behavior, as reported here:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=232665&highlight=#232665
I'll make some trials as you suggest and report back.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
hi marton, ill give this a go when i get a chance and get back to you how i go.

david, it would be great to hear from you if you have any success also.
cheers
Gene
Anonymous
Not applicable
not sure if it make any difference but the file sizes aren't huge, i probably average 10-15mb in size

system is
i7 3.50GHz
16gb ram
nvidia GTX760 3gb
64bit Win8
I am also experiencing this issue, when i monitor the archicad instances the instance a looks to become a memory leak, and it consumes memory with out stopping until i close it. instance b is just fine. this happens for both ac 18 and 17. but hasn't always been like this with 17. I have opened new drawings in a fresh install of ac 17 and the same thing happens. so far the only thing i can think of that i have changed recently is moving over to windows 8.1. never had issues on windows 7. the more i read it looks like nobody running 7 has the problem. So maybe its just a win8/8.1 issue? i am going to install archicad on my other two machines, one win 7 and one is 8.1 my current machine is on 8.1. so we will see if i can maybe narrow that part down.
David Collins
Advocate
SenecaDesignLLC wrote:
I am also experiencing this issue...
I'm using windows 7 and have the memory leakage problem in AC 18 exactly as you describe. The odd thing is that I never had this problem before in AC 17 so it never occurred to me to go back and test the issue in 17. Turns out 17 can't handle multiple instances of AC anymore either. Very odd: I wonder if one of the recent Windows Updates might have changed something in the OS that's causing this?
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
David wrote:
SenecaDesignLLC wrote:
I am also experiencing this issue...
I'm using windows 7 and have the memory leakage problem in AC 18 exactly as you describe. The odd thing is that I never had this problem before in AC 17 so it never occurred to me to go back and test the issue in 17. Turns out 17 can't handle multiple instances of AC anymore either. Very odd: I wonder if one of the recent Windows Updates might have changed something in the OS that's causing this?
It has to be. I used to have no issue. And thank you for verifying that the issue is there for 7 too. I was about ready re install windows. Maybe I'll try to uninstall some windows updates and see if I can narrow it down. I've had the issue since right around the release of 18 maybe a little before that. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Hopefully this gets fixed soon. Puts a huge damper on being able to have a good work flow.
not sure if there is any consistency but i occasionally get lucky and can open multiple ac instances no clue what i did if anything to make it happen though. its maybe 1 in every 15 or 20 tries that it even happens
Anonymous
Not applicable
i installed 18 within a week of its release, so iv not seen any issues like this in 17 in the past.. i did upgrade to windows8 at the exact same time as installing AC18. unsure if there is any links.
ill install AC17 on the win8 and see if its doing it.

SenecaDesignLLC wrote:
not sure if there is any consistency but i occasionally get lucky and can open multiple ac instances no clue what i did if anything to make it happen though. its maybe 1 in every 15 or 20 tries that it even happens
yes this is the same from me.. every so often its fine.
i thought it had something to do with trying to work ion the original window while the second was opening. but iv tried this recently a few times and no luck.. just seem random (by very rarely)