BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problems with Shift and option key on Snow Leopard.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I just upgraded to 10.6.2 and have a problem where the option key is not recognized. Even when trying to option click a wall to pick up attributes.

Shift Key will not constrain walls either.

I have tried a NEW and RESET ALL as well

Any help solving the problem would be very helpful! as it is pretty much useless to work without these keys functioning.

It is possible this started happening with the latest update. I can't recall if I used archicad after the snow leopard update but before the last ArchiCAD hotfix.
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
I have been running 10.6.2 without problems since it was released. Do you have any keyboard utilities installed? I know that Steermouse has some problems with wireless mice, if you turn off your mouse AC will not be recognize pressing the wheel as pan. Also you might try unplugging your keyboard and replug it, my MacPro sometimes forgets that it has a keyboard attached.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Rod Jurich
Contributor
Daniel wrote:
I just upgraded to 10.6.2 and have a problem where the option key is not recognized.
Even when trying to option click a wall to pick up attributes.

Shift Key will not constrain walls either.

I have tried a NEW and RESET ALL as well

Any help solving the problem would be very helpful! as it is pretty much useless to work without these keys functioning.

It is possible this started happening with the latest update.
I can't recall if I used archicad after the snow leopard update but before the last ArchiCAD hotfix.
Daniel, running SL since it's release without issue all versions of 13.
You wouldn't by chance have grid snap activated.
I have disabled S shortcut
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
No utilities for keyboard. And, it was working fine at least before the recent hotfix. No, snap grid is not the problem either It is strange that both shift and option are absent. They both work for other shortcuts, just not the important directional constraint or the Pick up Attributes. Therefore, I fdon't think any other software is disabling the keys in anyway...
Karl Ottenstein
Daniel,

This issue seems rare enough that I wonder if you might not try (a) creating another account on your machine and seeing if Opt works there - suggesting that some login item is conflicting with 10.6.2 or (b) if that doesn't work, restart in Safe mode to disable all extensions and see what happens...

Pretty weird.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,

Seems close....I have a guest account that I switched over to and the keys work fin there. Do you know of any preference files that might need to be deleted to getting it going again?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did have ALL other applications closed ,but I turned on Activity Monitor and noticed that I have a hidden Process/Application running for Quicken called Quicken Scheduler that I forced quit and my keys immediately came back without even having to restart ArchiCAD. That was pure luck finding that one.
Karl Ottenstein
Cool. Glad you found it. Not surprised it was Quicken-related. Intuit's software is the buggiest of any manufacturer I've dealt with. (Stay away from QuickBooks for Mac 2010 for now, for example.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
tsturm
Newcomer
see post "Option and Shift Key not working" for the solution to this problem
Terrence Sturm, Architect
AC 23 build
AC 24 build 5000
Learn and get certified!