Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Protection key upgrade to AC 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having issues upgrading my protection key from AC 13 to AC 14. I have followed the proper procedures (as far as I know) using https://upgrade.graphisoft.com/ . When I select the appropriate keyplug type, I receive a blank screen when the page has finished loading. I have also followed the Trouble Shooting Steps (uninstall and re-install WIBU drivers) and the system still does not recognize the key. Please keep in mind that AC 13 is functioning properly after the WIBU trouble shooting.

Thanks,
Kevin
8 REPLIES 8
Karl Ottenstein
It could be a firewall, or browser protection feature. A (java?) applet has to load to read the key and do the actual work. You should have received a prompt to load the applet. If you're on Windows, this will likely be in a one line yellow bar at the top of the Internet Explorer page. On Mac Safari, a dialog asks if the app can run.

If you still don't get the applet running to view the key contents, try a different browser (e.g., Firefox) perhaps...

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
I had a lot of trouble with Firefox, Safari and IE worked fine.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your help. I apologize for not indicating that my operating system is Mac OS X version 10.6.4 and that I attempted this procedure using Firefox. I was not prompted for an applet to load. However, I tried Safari this morning and everything worked as it should. Thank you again.
Karl Ottenstein
Good to know that Firefox (at least on OS X) is problematic with the update site. Thanks for sharing that, Erika and Kevin. Glad you're updated, Kevin!

Just tested it, and Firefox did prompt me to allow the applet to run ... but clicking Allow did nothing - blank screen. But, then I had clicked the WIBU icon out of habit. Forgot that I switched to Codemeter a few weeks ago. Repeating the process and clicking on the Codemeter icon, the upgrade site ran normally, showing my key ID and all loaded licenses. I'm on Firefox 3.0.13 and OS X 10.6.4

So that tech support can know if this is a WIBU issue, could each of you confirm that you are on the latest Firefox and clicked the icon corresponding to the type of key you have? Try going to Tools > Clear Private Data and clear the Cache, then exit and restart Firefox and see if you get the prompt for the applet, etc...

Cheers,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erika Epstein
Booster
Karl,
US tech support knows about the problem with firefox on the PC and suggested IE..
On the mac I got the applet as you did. When I tried again I only used Safari.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Karl Ottenstein
Thanks, Erika. Hopefully, they'll make a note of the issue on the Wiki, or else others will find this discussion during a search.

Cheers,
karl
Karl Ottenstein
Karl wrote:
Thanks, Erika. Hopefully, they'll make a note of the issue on the Wiki, or else others will find this discussion during a search.
Duh. Graphisoft was on top of this some time ago. I just didn't read the Wiki article. See:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Remote%20Key%20Upgrade

particularly:
Requirements
To use the upgrade site, you need:

- a key that is eligible for upgrade
- internet connection
- a compatible WibuKey or CodeMeter driver installed (use the ArchiCAD install DVD to install the correct drivers. The drivers from wibu.com may not be compatible with the upgrade site)
- On Windows, Internet Explorer (other browsers are not supported)
- On Mac, Safari (other browsers are not supported)

- up-to-date Java environment (make sure operating system updates are installed)
Since the HTML code can check what browser is rendering the page, it might be smart for a warning to pop-up if anything other than the supported browsers (above) is in use.
Hi, i too face problems updating the wibu key to AC 14.
The key is on the server, and when i tried to update (with Safari) i got this message: see attached image.
Screen shot.png
Mac OSX 13.6.4 | AC 26 INT 3001 FULL