BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Ramdrive

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using a ramdrive to improve hard disk performance on temporary and cache file operations by Graphisoft.

Note: No help available if the data hits the fan. Why? Because your .pln file will be corrupted beyond repair.

Hard Disks v. Ram:
AC uses the hard drive to store temp files for many operations, this usually slows down performance.
Imagine if you could use your super fast RAM, instead of the physical hard drive.
Well, you can, the solution is to install a special type of driver called a ramdrive.

1) I use Dataram's Ramdisk. Please do you own homework on this selection.
2) Installation creates a virtual drive in ram memory (mine is G: ).
3) Back up your Work Environment, then Go to >Work Environment, >Company Standards, > Special Folders
4) Change the folder locations for Temporary and Cache, to a dedicated folder on the ramdrive. That's it.
5) Now your section rebuilds, 3D window orbit, etc. will speed up.
6) Turn sun shadow on in 3D and orbit it as-fast-as-you-can. Impressed?

Warnings:
A) Do not use a ram disk without your IT dept approval.
B) If you are on a desktop, you must have an uninterrupted power supply.
C) If your laptop battery is dead or slightly shy, replace it.
D) Read the manual that comes with the ramdisk software. I warned you!
E) Never use a ramdrive on a server, BIM or otherwise.
F) Graphisoft expects 2-3Gb space for these temp files.

Snap
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
snapcrackle wrote:

Note: No help available if the data hits the fan. Why? Because your .pln file will be corrupted beyond repair.......
Snap
Or (although not free);
For a cool $100 you could have a bit more stability and speed with a small SSD drive. Bestbuy has a 40gig here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp;jsessionid=2518BDBD6EAECAC0ABEBB112332713BB.bbolsp...
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Does this actually give any quantifiable performance boost in ArchiCAD?

I've done a bit of analysis on my machine and the only time the HDD is the bottleneck is when saving a file, and even then it's only for a few seconds.

Doesn't seem like the tradeoff of losing a bunch of RAM would be worth it. Unless you have massive piles of RAM, in which case, you could've just spent the money on an SSD instead and improved your entire system's performance at boot time and program loading.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
No quantifiable #'s , experience.

Does your software allow you to time the rebuild of a section, elevation and any view dependent on the 3D OpenGL or Internal Engine? Those are the operations this I/O fix helps.

Snap
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!