Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

!Restored: Dealing with Stories

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm new to AutoCAD (no, no, no, oops.... ARCHICAD) and need some help figuring out the program. I've tried using the tutorials but they always use trace elements and I need to be able to start from scratch.

I've drawn the first story of a house (basement) and added a second story. I want to be able to control the parts of the first story that are viewable from the second floor plan. When I first created the new story above the current one, the first story wasn't visible at all. I clicked around (not sure what I did) but soon the first story was visible, though gray (just like I wanted it). I drew the second story wall, then viewed it in 3-D. My elevations were off so I went into the story settings and made adjustments. Actually I think I ended up doing some adjustments in 3-D mode. Now when I'm viewing the 2nd floor plan the 2nd story wall is gray just like the first story wall. Here are the settings on the wall:
Home Story: Current (2. Main Floor)
Floor Plan Display:
* show on all relevant stories
* Floor plan display - Projected w/ Overhead
* Show Projection - Entire Element (also tried to Floor Plan Range)
Wall Priority on the four second floor walls are set to 6 (basement wall is set to eight.)

I think it has something to do with Trace and Reference. If it is ON then all elements are gray. When I turn it OFF, all elements are dark and active. I want to have all 2nd floor elements dark but still see the 1st elements, gray in the background.

Please help!
13 REPLIES 13
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
David wrote:
Ouch. When did I become my father? ; )
If you haven't already, you are inexorably heading that way
Ralph Wessel BArch
Chazz
Enthusiast
David wrote:
Ouch. When did I become my father?
Father, forgive me for I hath sinned.....
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Stress Co_
Advisor
David wrote:
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.
But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stress wrote:
David wrote:
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.
But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874
the arrogance of youth ... great quote, btw.