Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Selecting faces in 3D selects back face

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm having a problem with selecting faces of a Morph in 3D.
Instead of selecting the front face/vertex I wish to select and on which I click on it selects the face behind it.
I made a short video presenting the issue.

I suppose its a problem with settings in AC or graphic card / OpenGL (I'm working on Nvidia GeForce GTX 980) but I have no idea were to find the solution.
Now I'm working on AC 23 version 4006 INT Full on Windows 10 Home. Previously working on AC 22 and other PC I didn't have this issue.

6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I tested this on AC23 b5005 and I could not reproduce it.
As a first step, I would try to upgrade the graphics drivers on your system.

Or, there is something else you could test. If you go to the "3D Style" Dialog and change the 3D Engine to "Vectorial Engine" from OpenGL, does the error still occur?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Philips,

Thank you for the question!

I tried to look for a similar case in our system, but nothing comes up so far. I'm wondering if this issue is a one-time thing, or if it is happening on regular basis? Does it happen with the morph only, or you can reproduce it with other elements (like mesh, roof, shell and so on), in other files?

I cannot reproduce this issue either. Please let me know you have any further information to share!

Thank you very much! Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo and Minh,

Thanks for your time and help.
This is a issue I have all the time.
I recently made a discovery : this issue is connected to files and projects I work on, in existing files.
When I open a new file from Archicad Template it doesn't happen and working on Morphs is normal.
This bug is also not connected to settings, which was my first thought.

Here is a video presenting this issue in a existing file and in a new one, with changing setting in the mean time:

This happens to all my projects, since one is usually based on previous project files. Changing / migrating projects from old files to new ones is rather impossibly difficult work to do so I would be pleased for finding a solution to fix this.

I would like to send you the existing project file for verification, please contact my by email: biuro ( a t ) safs.pl

Best regards,
Filip
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Filip,

I sent you a link via Private Message, where you can send us the file for investigation.

Please let me know once you finish uploading the file!

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi FIlip,

I sent you an email with the link for uploading the file. Please let me know if you got the link and successfully upload the file!

Thank you very much, and have a great weekend!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi all,

Thanks to Filip's file and his videos, we have identify the issue: The problem is caused by a relatively small value given to the distance in the perspective camera settings. Usually, this value is in the thousands order of magnitude (with centimeters as working units), however, some miscalculations may occur with a small value. As a workaround, we could increase the Distance value in the 3D Projection Settings of Perspective camera (anything above 500cm seems to suffice).

If you encounter the same issue, please make sure that the Distance value set in 3D Projection Settings should not be too small, in order to avoid this problem.

Have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT