Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Tablet computers--computer tablets

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are a firm that does a lot of field verification of existing space. Walls, doors, electrical , RCP info. I'm beginnning to think a tablet computer might be useful for input on site rather than drawing on site and inputting back in the office.

Anyone have experience with tablets? Will Archicad even work with a tablet? What strategies are you all using for field input?
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I still use the clipboard and pencil technique, but have been intrigued by the idea of using a tablet computer. It seems like a good idea in principal but I'm not sure how it would work in practice. The screens are kind of small still and they weigh considerably more than a clipboard (and my left arm already gets tired). I have also considered setting up a laptop on a tall stand to see if doing the modeling on site is really desireable, but haven't had the right opportunity yet. Also,I can't justify the cash to buy a computer that would only serve this one purpose. The tablet PCs aren't powerfull enough to do double duty as a workstation.

Let us know if you decide to try it. For a firm that does a lot of survey work it does seem like it could be a good idea. I will be very interested to read your experiences.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We got a Toshiba tablet and loved it EXCEPT....it is slow (they all are), the screen is small (they all are) and while it was the sturdiest one of the bunch we looked at, it was a bit rickety and I always feared I'd break it.

On the upside, when I travel I can do field sketches and e-mail them to the contractor right then, sometimes even print them if they have a printer on site. It was also great for doing punch lists.

ArchiCad worked fine though the dongle was a little clumsy.

From the way you describe your practice, I'd recommend investing in one if for no other reason than to see how it might reshape the way you go about things.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew and Mark,
Thanks for your responses.

We have ordered the Toshiba tablet (M-200 is the current version). The Toshiba is a convertible unit that has a keyboard so that data can be input as a standard portable as well as directly on the screen surface using a stylus.

We have also ordered a portable collapsible stand so that we can wheel around and do field input using our Leica laser measure.

We'll see how it goes and I will indeed report back our results.
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Craig wrote:
Matthew and Mark,
Thanks for your responses.

We have ordered the Toshiba tablet (M-200 is the current version). The Toshiba is a convertible unit that has a keyboard so that data can be input as a standard portable as well as directly on the screen surface using a stylus.

[].
wise choice, those are the ones that have the 1.5 GHz CPU's and 32 MB videoRAM as standard right?
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I promised an update when we got our tablet. Here it is:

Everything Mark Baughman said in his message is correct.

downside:

smaaaall screen, a bit slow, unfortunate archicad protection key, there is a special version of Windows XP that is just a bit buggy. It will hang up now and again.

upside:
a pen is a great input device for objects. It is a natural. If you are spotting outlets, light fixtures in a ceiling grid, etc, it is great. The tablet screen rotates so that it can be used as a traditional portable with keyboard input or it can be flipped around to tablet mode and cradled in the arm while walking around doing input.

wishes:
the tablet does allow digital ink script or block letter text pen input. It can be converted to machine text. But this isn't implemented in Archicad. That is a shame and hopefully Archicad will address that in the future.

If there is a way to use the syringe and dropper with the pen, I haven't figured it out. They want to be on the toolbar. To use either of them now, I have to have access to the keyboard (or the popup screen keyboard).

Also one has to use the keyboard for input dimensions. that is a drag (pun! yikes). it wants automatically converted digital ink here too.

On balance, the tablet is cool. It useful. It will get better.

Jeffry---any hope on that wishlist?
JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
here's a lightweight-for-the-size 12" convertible Tablet (3.9 pounds) the Viewsonic 1250:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tablet_pc.htm

WinXP Tablet-friendly ArchiCAD?
maybe when XP Tablets (Apple too?) become more of a standard ..

OT: I actually use a Fujitsu touchscreen notebook
similar to:
http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=AB

(resistive pressure screen = I can use a fingernail) because it's rather fun to use WinAmp skins as my virtual music rack.
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, due to some other needs (outside of just ArchiCAD), I ended up getting a laptop that I now use as my primary PC. It's a Gateway with the 17" screen, and the fastest processor I could find (it's slow enough as it is, but at least I know that I couldn't get any faster).

I use it when meeting with clients (they love the walkthrus), and when I use my "mobile office" (I work out of the office every now and then). The drawbacks are the hardware lock (I'm always scared of loosing it or destroying it - it's still worth more than my laptop), the weight (pretty heavy if you plan to work while holding it, not to mention awkward to hold & work), and the general hardware damage risk (droping, etc).

Basically, if you need a mobile office, they have the toys out there. As far as using it to do work on-site, I don't think I'd take the risk even if dust were the only issue.
Craig wrote:
We have also ordered a portable collapsible stand so that we can wheel around and do field input using our Leica laser measure.
I have a Hilti. What software do you use to hook it up? I thought it only works with Palm PCs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sergio wrote:
"I have a Hilti. What software do you use to hook it up? I thought it only works with Palm PCs."

Nothing so artful. Just hand input. There is an interface and cable for inputting into the computer but it is too awkward for me to bother with. It only makes a list with arcane input codes, I believe. Life is too short.
Anonymous
Not applicable
has anyone had any experience sending archicad files to contractors with tablet pcs? would you have them use the project viewer, or send them something like a DWG?

we have a contractor who is looking into getting a tablet and is wondering which kind and which software to get; he would like to be able to view our plans with it and possibly make notes and some changes in the field. this is the first person we have had express any interest in doing something like that, just curious if others have tried it with someone who does not have archicad.

thanks!
Katie Bertsche
various Mac G4s, OSx.2, Archicad 8.1