BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

The Essentials Interactive Training Guide

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there.

I just downloaded the trial for AC 15 for PC, I come from a revit background so have some experience of BIM.
I also downloaded the Essentials Interactive Training Guide and trying to work through it and I am stuck at an early stage.

When creating a grid with columns, I follow the instructions but when i generate the grid it copies the columns to each floor level instead of the 1 column extending 2 floors as on the video and i cant see anywhere where to amend this. So i end up with a stack of columns overlapping each other at each grid point with their base set to each floor level.

the only thing i can see different in the video (which is done on a Mac) is in
Grid System Settings/Column default settings - Home storey set to automatic where i dont have that option in my drop down menu.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated, I feel I am missing a key point.
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi,
We looked at this thing and it may be a bug.
In the Grid Element Settings Dialog (which is accessible from the Grid System Settings Dialog by clicking the Grid Element Settings button in the Grid Elements panel), in the Floor Plan panel, the Show On Story field should be set to "Current Story Only". In that case the result will be correct.
If it is set to something else, ArchiCAD thinks it has to place all those Columns/Beams on all those Stories, just as it places the Grid Elements.
This info comes from Graphisoft so they are aware of it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
I am taking the Essentials Tutorial and the same thing happened to be. As the site administrator says above, there must be a setting wrong in the tutorial. Yeah, my column grid sprouted right up to 6 floor levels, too! And I thought the same things: that I had done something wrong. I don't think so. For your info, I also ran into some glitch on the Massaro house tutorial, somewhere about step 5+/-, having to do with using a "Mesh" setting. It doesn't do anything. I restarted and tried it again 2 more times, carefully following the instructions, so there must be a flaw in the tutorial, unless I am missing something.
These walls to progress in these tutorials can be daunting and frustrating. i gave up after that Massaro glitch, but came back several days later, and dug right into the MicroSoft building tutorial. It seems each tutorial has some kind of bug here and there. And not all of the commands work in exactly the way the tutorials say. For instance, in the MicroSoft office build, when you Drag/move the column grid, you do Not want to "click anywhere" then start dragging the grid. Why: it is impossible to keep your drag at 90*. You have to start your drag on one of the vertical grid lines, so that ArchiCad can infer that you intend a straight movement. Yes, you can also press your Shift key, but then it seems you cannot then enter the 16 foot movement by typing.
Moral of the story: do not let these glitches keep you from continuing on, if you can. Hopefully, a wonderful 3D design ability awaits us, if we persevere and learn, right through the problems, and seek good advice. All my best, Rand the architect.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm so glad I see that someone else has had the same problems I've had. I am also a Revit user, and became very frustrated with the columns problem and the drag move up 90d problem. I replayed that tutorial numerous times to figure out what was wrong. I tried the solution suggested below, but it's already set on the current story setting already, and I still get columns stacked up on each other. This is very frustrating especially since it's in the beginning of the tutorials. Has this glitch been fixed?

There's another missing instruction in 8-3 when it asks to continue a dimension string. It doesn't simply add on to the new string. There is a missing instruction somehow. Frustrating.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I had this problem and solved it.

Make sure that after you open the Grid System Settings, you select Grid Element Settings, click Favorites at the top, and select "Grid Element-01". That solved it for me. You can also select your column settings and make sure "Columns-01" is selected in the column favorites.

Hope this helps!
Learn and get certified!