BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

This should be interesting.. Apple dropping OpenGL and pre 2012 macs :(

Rick Thompson
Expert
"Apple has informed developers that it will deprecate OpenGL and OpenCL in Mojave and iOS 12.

Software developers often prefer open standards like OpenGL because they make cross-platform development easier, but during its WWDC session dedicated to converting OpenGL developers to Metal, Apple rightly noted that OpenGL is woefully out of date for current needs."

"That means that other than older Mac Pros that have Metal-ready GPUs installed, no Macs released before 2012 will be supported. iOS 12 will continue to support all the same mobile devices as iOS 11, though."

The following machines will be supported by Mojave:

iMac Pro
MacBook (Early 2015 or later)
Mac Pro (2013 redesign)
Mac mini (Late 2012 or later)
iMac (Late 2012 or later)
MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or later)
MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or later)
Mac Pro (2010 or later, provided it has a GPU that supports Metal)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/06/the-end-of-opengl-support-other-updates-apple-didnt-share-at...
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
13 REPLIES 13
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have received a reply from GRAPHISOFT developers about this. Here is what they told me about the issues raised:
“I've been messing around with Mojave the last few days and Archicad isn't usable on it. Endless spinning wheels and long waits for a wall to draw or whatever. I have no idea if it's openGL or not.”
This issue is not related to OpenGL. The OS works differently than earlier, it is more sensitive to a bug in ARCHICAD. They have identified the root of the problem, and it will be fixed in a future update of ARCHICAD.

Deprecated OpenGL:
Apple deprecates OpenGL in MacOS 14 and iOS12. OpenGL applications will run without problems in that (and they think at least in the next 2 or 3) versions, but It is recommended to switch to Metal on the long run. In BIMx they are working on the transition to Metal. They have collected good knowledge on using Metal and they are going to switch to Metal in ARCHICAD later.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Nice to know I won't have to switch to Windows in the future. I use both, and the Mac version is a LOT faster. More efficient I think.
mikas
Expert
mikas wrote:
..this is totally frustrating to watch beachball all the time. If there is something graphisoft could do to ease this behavior, please do it.
Ok, it seems this fixed it. It was the new file system acting up with the remainings of older file system.
Close ARCHICAD then rename the /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/GRAPHISOFT folder (e.g....
I'm happy again with the speed.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding other programs and Metal 2 : https://greyscalegorilla.com/2018/08/cinema-4d-r20-announcement/

Great that the industry will get a nudge away from openGL, never really was fan besides the open source nature of it.

These technologies are now so vital and used all over the OS that no-one in their right mind would base that on an external project. Pretty sure that's why Apple did no go with Vulkan.

Microsoft have been somewhat ahead of their time with Direct-X albeit for other reasons than Apple.

Don't know many Metal apps and none Metal 2 ones but use Pixelmator Pro (Metal) all the time and that is really really fast.

Btw. Guess most of you have already seen the performance in BIMx Lab with realtime shadows and shading? Would love to have a viewport like that in ARCHICAD
Learn and get certified!