Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Unable to choose 'edit selected item' from composites window

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are using Achicad 11. We start off with a new clean document and click Options – Element attributes –Composites

We select element from the list and then click edit skin and lines structure, once we are done we click 'edit selected item' to expand the list. As soon as we do it expands the editable items list for a split second and then hides it again?

I have clicked the check for updates and we are running the most recent version of the application according to your website. We have your software installed on 30 – 50 machines. This is happening on half of our machines? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling this appears to make no difference. We are running Windows XP SP2 on P4 3Ghz all the same specification so hardware shouldn't be the issue. Image attached shows the issue
[/img]
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
This appears to be a screen resolution issue. This window shown below seems to have some intelligence, if there isn't enough space on the screen for it to expand it will automatically close. The machines that we were having issues on the users were running their machines at something very low like 800*600 or 1024*768. Once the Screen resolution was changed in WindowsXP the panel functions as it is expected to.

The window has the intelligence to not expand if the resolution isn't big enough but doesn't inform the user??
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
DanGay wrote:
The window has the intelligence to not expand if the resolution isn't big enough but doesn't inform the user??
They must had have their resolution set to 800x600!!

With all due respect I think the programmers assume that you should know some of the basics! Otherwise ArchiCAD may need to start informing the user that the volume is too high, or the mouse is not plugged in.

How do you work at 800x600 anyway?:D

Cheers,
Link.
800x600.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not defending the use of 800*600 or 1024*768 I think its ridiculous , it's mostly the older members of staff that complain everything is to small on resolutions above this, when it's actually their eye site that is the issue.
Karl Ottenstein
DanGay wrote:
I'm not defending the use of 800*600 or 1024*768 I think its ridiculous , it's mostly the older members of staff that complain everything is to small on resolutions above this, when it's actually their eye site that is the issue.
From the ArchiCAD 11 (and 10) specs, and Read Me:
Read wrote:
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Display:

Recommended resolution: 1280x1024 or higher
Perhaps is should add "1024 x 768 minimum, and some dialogs/functions may not be available."

I just switched my left monitor to 800 x 600 to verify that indeed, the Composites Dialog's 'edit selected item' panel cannot be displayed at that resolution. This is not a bug...a variety of other dialogs (Work Environment for one) cannot fit vertically at that ancient resolution.

There is an error message - but it is subtle: you'll notice that after clicking on 'Edit Selected Item', it turns gray, meaning that it cannot be selected. Personally, I see no reason for GS more than any other manuf to provide actual error handling for below-spec resolutions...but I suppose there could be a single message when AC starts up warning that "some dialogs will not be visible at the current resolution". I'll throw that suggestion into the system. 😉

A 19" LCD costs next to nothing these days...so one has to presume that your older members either (a) are stuck with an old 15" CRT because your management is too cheap to provide them with a usable work environment, or (b) UK Health won't issue computer glasses

More than a few of us here are in our 50's. While reading glasses are typically for, um, reading...a midrange power works perfectly for computer screens/newspapers. In having my prescription figured out, I found that focusing on an LCD is somehow very different than focusing on a piece of paper at the same distance, and so took my laptop to the optomitrist when we figured out what works for me. Because I need reading glasses too (getting old stinks), my computer glasses are actually bifocals, with the upper part for the screen, and the lower for reading.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB