BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Unable to select drawings in Layouts w/ arrow tool in AC10

Scott Bulmer
Booster
For some reason, selecting drawings or primitives either by Shift Clicking or using the Arrow Tool including Magnate has ceased to function within any and all layout sheets within one PLN file. This is a major problem as nothing can be individually selected.

In layout sheets of the subject PLN, we can select all using Control A, but not using Marquee, Arrow or Shift Click. Also, the origin has moved on its own to the lower left hand corner of the sheet, and cannot be relocated. Further, we are unable to draw primitives or place text on any layout sheet within that file, and Alt Clicking to pick-up parameters does not function. Selection including with Arrow Tool and Alt-Clk'g works as expected in the model environment.

We have New & Reset as well as restarted the system several times without luck. No other programs are running. Other smaller PLN files are fine. The file with the issues is 38 MB. We are open to any and all suggestions. I'm hoping this is not the unspecified file size limitation mentioned in the manual.

Thanks,
Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
7 REPLIES 7
Djordje
Ace
Try Find&Select by drawing name

Is the cursor changing shape?

Can you select by window?

And - are you SURE that you are in the layout? This sounds as if something else is active, so that the layout is not accessible. Maybe you are really in Master ... no, then you would not see the drawings.

This happened to me once, for a moment, in one of the early betas. Don't remember what the problem was ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Djordje,
Your suggestions helped me solve this, which I really hate to admit was user error.

The Grid Snap had been accidentally switched on. Also, we didn't realize that the Snap settings were saved with the View Sets as well as the Layouts, and alternated on/off when changing from Layout to Model views.

I think this is the kind of oversight typically happens late on Friday afternoons.

Thanks for your response.
Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
andrewzarb
Booster
Because I've been caught out by the "accidental switching on of snap to grid" and stared at my monitor in a confused daze;

It's worth noting that pressing "S" switches 'snap to grid' on and off
Djordje
Ace
I never use the thing ...

... and it is SO obvious a culprit!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Exactly....we never use the thing either.

I guess we must have attempted to save using 'Control S' too quickly, and ended up just hitting 'S' instead, switching it on.

I'm going to eliminate the 'Snap' shortcut from our work environments removing the possibility that it will happen again.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Ahh, so good to find this post ....... this got me too.

In my case, it wasn't so much that "Snap Grid" was turned on, but it was turned on in conjuction with the "Construction Grid".

Construction Grid was set to 4' x 4'. (Snap Grid to 4" x 4") With a 4' grid and zoomed in, There was no chance to see the "dancing snap dot".

Mucho Thanks
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
This one dinged a coworker of mine while I was on vacation. I got a call and couldn't for the life of me figure it out (at least not from the beach). Luckily she uncovered the grid snap. Checking it out just now I see that the magnetic cursor still works as long as the snap dot falls within the drawing. So it's most likely to nail you when set to snap to the construction grid and that grid is larger than the layout. And of course the grid needn't be displayed for this snapping to be enforced. I don't think the grid snap state is saved with the view but it is remembered separately for model vs. layout. The good thing (which I just discovered) is that the grid spacing is also specific to model vs. layout so from now on I will set it to something small (like an inch) for the layouts to ensure I see those dancing dots.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Learn and get certified!