Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Upgrade Mac G4 450?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I currently have a G4 450Mhz with 385 ram and running classic. I use it for AC7 and was wondering if it is worth upgrading the system software and ram.

I run AC8.0 on my PC P4 2.8 1 gig ram.
I don't know if the mac once more ram is added will handle AC8 or when we get it AC8.1 ( I don't expect it to )

does anyone run these older G4's with the later system software and if so are there any problems?

even if I don't use it for AC it might be good to keep the system all up to date.
10 REPLIES 10
jclewis
Booster
We run AC 8v3 on a similar machine, plus two 'slower' macs, an eMac, and a powerbook, with system 10.3 on all.

Performance is acceptable, even on the old G4 400.

We have added more memory to all and a lot of memory to the 'newest' G4. It seems to make a difference.

We are seriously considering buying an eMac as a replacement for the oldest G4.

James C Lewis
Various G4 macs, 10.3
AC 8v3
James C Lewis
AC 24 (Full)
Mac Pro (Late 2013) OS 10.13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
James,

thanks for that, I think I will upgrade the software and the ram.
did you max out your ram ( 1.5gig? ) does panther support classic applications like appleworks? This is what i have all my invoices etc in and would still like to open them easily.

However I guess it's just more software to add to the list.
KenMcN
Contributor
Kerry
Appleworks works natively in OS X (I think it's a carbon app, so works in both systems). We use it with no problems.
HTH
Kenny
P'Book G3/400 OS X.2.8
V25 & 26 (fully patched); Mac Ventura, MacBook Pro M1 Max
Jacek
Contributor
"Kerry" wrote:
Hi All,

I currently have a G4 450Mhz with 385 ram and running classic. I use it for AC7 and was wondering if it is worth upgrading the system software and ram.

I run AC8.0 on my PC P4 2.8 1 gig ram.
I don't know if the mac once more ram is added will handle AC8 or when we get it AC8.1 ( I don't expect it to )

does anyone run these older G4's with the later system software and if so are there any problems?

Kerry,
I have a G4 667 that I have just upgraded with an OWC (US $597.00 delivered) processor to 1.467 GHz and installed X.3 So far no problem, speed has increased I am able to print again to my Epson 1520 (I was unable to do so w/X.2.. I have maxed out the memory a while back, it is so cheap now that there is no reason not to do so.
Thus, was able to extend the life of my computer for another couple of years and once the G5's are around for a while, I will probably spring for one then, probably after Christmas.
You can read up on processor upgrades in the October issue of Macworld magazine, great review of the three major makes and a detailed installation article, Took me an hour to swap processor and upgrade the System to Panther.
No brainer.
Hope this helps,
Jacek

P.S. If you do this don't forget to upgrade your ROM and download/install the latest Wibu Key driver.
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Dwight
Newcomer
And boost the video RAM to at least 64Megulons somehow for smooth navigation features...
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
James, I am also considering upgrading to a new eMac but was wondering how do the eMac's work with only 32 mb of vram? My projects are single family new homes and additions (small files).
thanks for any feedback
Mike Venechuk
Anonymous
Not applicable
venecasper wrote:
James, I am also considering upgrading to a new eMac but was wondering how do the eMac's work with only 32 mb of vram? My projects are single family new homes and additions (small files).
thanks for any feedback
Mike Venechuk
Im using a 533 G4 with a 32MbGeforce 2MX, and it runs the openGL window in ArchiCAD 8 fine, its the 2D screen redraws that are terrible.

32Mb VRam should be ok for smaller projects, however what about when AC9 and 10 come along, what will there minimum requirements be?
Dwight
Newcomer
It is ironic that anyone would try to predict the future because we all know that in eighteen months, more-or-less, software and hardware will advance at least as much as in the prior period, where everything changed. In the Mac world. the arrival of machines with Serial ATA hard drives, a whole bunch of VRAM and cheap real RAM means that over the next year you can enjoy enhanced productivity to justify a new machine in two years.

There are two things I saw at Siggraph that might alter your purchasing decisions:

1: the projected light keyboard
2: The LED backlighted LCD display, capable of increased dynamic range and developed right here in Vancouver. I will be holding-off on any flat panel purchasing unitl this is available - promised within eighteen months. This display is capable of emulating back-lit Cibachrome - but brighter than a displlay sign. Not so important in ArchiCAD tasks, but for anything pohotographic on the web or displayed on a screen it is a revolution.

However, a fellow always wants to be able to predict the future to be certain that his eqipment will keep up, so let me share this, just in from Hungary:

ArchiCAD 10 will permit "gestural objectivfication," where all the user does is sort of gesture within his "volumetric GESTURESCAN© chamber" and "ArchiSpace," a new Add-On from Cigraph will help ArchiCAD infer an entire structure, projecting it holographically on the internal walls of the space. It will finally have the Calculation Menu worked out and will display real-time building costs.

For this you will need a Quadratic Pentium V with 200Gb of VRAM. Barco will build the chamber.

This could just be speculation, however.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it looks like I may upgrade the software, more Ram, but not to sure about the processor, because I have my PC also for AC8 I may wait a bit and see how prices on the G5's go.

Maybe my wife will get me one for my birthday!!
( not very likely, oh well, put the fee's up to cover it I guess.)

Kerry.