BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Using Archicad with VPN from another country

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello!

I'm planning on going travelling for a longer period of time to another country, and my boss would like me to take a laptop with me and continue working from there part-time/when needed. I was wondering if it is possible to use Archicad through VPN connection or are there some limitations in the licenses or possible problems that we should consider?

Anybody have any experience on working with Archicad remotely?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
If your office is using Codemeter network licenses then there should be no problem if you VPN to the office network that has those licenses.
I do this all the time.

If they use software network licenses then you should be able to 'borrow' one and shouldn't need to use VPN (I have never done this).

They must be network licenses though otherwise they will only be available to the machine containing the single license. Single licenses can not be shred over a network.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Another option is to use a Remote Desktop software.
I use Chrome Remote Desktop. ARCHICAD is running on my home computer, which I can access from anywhere with the use of a password and I can simply remotely control the computer. Works pretty well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Barry Kelly
laszlonagy wrote:
Another option is to use a Remote Desktop software.
I use Chrome Remote Desktop. ARCHICAD is running on my home computer, which I can access from anywhere with the use of a password and I can simply remotely control the computer. Works pretty well.
Yes that works too and allows you to use the license on the machine you are connecting to - even if it is a single license.
I have done it using VNC which means I still have to VPN into the office network, I have even controlled my PC through my phone with VNC.
However using remote desktop software like Laszlo suggests means you just need an internet connection.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your replies! So if we have network licenses, the VPN connection is enough? I don't need to take any USB (codemeter drivers or something) with me?
Barry Kelly
So long as Archicad is already on your laptop and is working then the codemeter drivers are installed.
All you need to do then is VPN into your office network to access the licenses.
That should be it as it should find the license automatically.

But you may need to add the server IP address to the Codemeter Control Centre if it doesn't.

Make sure you check your VPN connection and try to connect to a license before you go anywhere.

Barry.
codemeter_search_list.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay great!
I tried working with Archicad with VPN from my apartment (which well, is in the same city as the office) and that at least worked. I used the same laptop I'm planning on taking with me. So it shouldn't be any different from a different country I guess?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello and thank you for your answers! I'm now working remotely and it worked well with projects that are not teamwork. However, when I try to open a teamwork project it gets stuck in the "Phase 1: Downloading data". I tried to delete the teamwork data on my computer of that project and open it again but the same thing happened again. Any suggestions what I should do?
Learn and get certified!