Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Wall height glitch

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are a small firm new to archicad in the last month. We are experiencing serious issues with walls displaying incorrectly, but claiming to be correct in the dialogue box. These walls obtain some kind of "phantom object" that I will outline later, and shorten in height, with an invisible object keeping them below where they should be. The issue is compounded in teamwork. I can "fix" the walls by changing them to any random number, and then changing them back to what they should be, erasing the "phantom object", but as soon as I fix mine, everyone else's walls become all screwed up, and if they fix theirs, mine immediately becomes screwed up. Only one person can view the walls as they correctly should be displayed.

Here is the "phantom" object inhabiting our wall types:
http://prntscr.com/77i23n

As you can see, the wall is set to 0" from roof level, but it shown with four noted outlining an invisible object keeping it below that level line. This thing and those four nodes appear even when the wall is set below the level line on purpose and can happen to any wall type at any height. It happens to us with premade walls and with custom walls. With simple profiles and complex profiles.

If I set the height to 1', and then change it back to 0, this happens:
http://prntscr.com/77i3hj

Suddenly it is correct again.

However as soon as I correct this wall, and save changes, everyone else on the team suddenly inherits the phantom object. If they fix theirs, mine reverts to incorrect again.

Here are screenshots showing other walls and conditions:

http://prntscr.com/77i44j

http://prntscr.com/77i4ee

http://prntscr.com/77i4mq

I called archicad support and emailed them with these issues. They said they have never seen this before. I sent them the archicad file, they said they were able to replicate the problem, but have no idea how to fix it or what to do.

Any suggestions? We are not able to continue using this product in this environment.....
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Dane,

Could this be to do with how the complex profile has been set up? Are the vertical stretch lines in the correct place?

Maybe a screenshot of one of the complex profiles used in the walls would help diagnose the problem?

Does the problem still happen if you copy & paste the wall into a completely empty file?

(It's also worth putting your ArchiCAD version & basic computer specs in your signature as some problems are version specific!)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also just noticed that all your walls seem to be on the generic 'ArchiCAD Layer'.

Try assigning the walls to a different layer with a different intersection group number. Perhaps they are weirdly intersecting with another wall somewhere with the same intersection number? (possibly the piece of fascia trim - try deleting it temporarily as see if there is any difference. It should be on a layer with a different int number than the wall.)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your response...

I changed the walls to correct layers, "exterior wall" or "interior wall" as necessary. The issue persists.

I do not think it is a profile issue...the problem happens with all types of walls. It happens with generic 8" foundation walls and with very complex custom wall profiles, it does not matter.
rgarand
Booster
Did you set your custom roof eave profile to a different layer and then set your intersection group number to something different than your Exterior wall layer's intersection group number?

This has happened to me a few times because the custom roof eave profile is basically a wall and it tries to clean up with the exterior wall.
Robert J. Garand
ArchiCAD USA 27-Build 5001 USA FULL
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not done much playing with layers, mostly things are just on whatever layer ArchiCAD puts them on, when you build them...

But this problem is not associated with the roof, or the eave...

This issue, as I have stated, appears on all kinds of walls. Foundation walls, wood walls, simple profiles, complex profiles, basement floor, top floor..

There is no roof or eave attached to the basement walls, yet they display this bug.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Can you share the file somewhere (DropBox?) so we can take a look?

Cheers,
Link.
rgarand
Booster
If your walls are not associated with layers and intersection numbers you could have all kinds of weird problems happening. I still think it has something to do with how these walls/profiles are cleaning up. Looking at the entire file will help per Link's request.
Robert J. Garand
Windows 10 Prof (64 bit) - Intel i9-10920X CPU 3.50 GHz - 128 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
rgarand
Booster
There also seems to be different things happening to your eaves from one screenshot to another. 77i4ee looks like there are upper end walls extending beyond the eave, where 77i4mq does not show these upper end walls beyond the eave.
Robert J. Garand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for your help...

We updated to build 5100 and now all the glitches are gone..

Somehow it was this build 4020 causing a lot of issues.