Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Which MacBook? (memory X processor/graphic card dilemma)

Durval
Enthusiast
Having a very strict budget for a new MacBook Pro, I'd appreciate advice on which one of these two MacBooks Pro 15" below should I choose:

1- less processor speed (2.2GHZ) and graphic card (512 MB), but more RAM (8GB):
2.2GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz RAM
500GB 5400-rpm
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5
price: $2,000

2- better processor speed (2.4GHZ) and graphic card (1 GB), but less RAM (4GB):
2.4GHz quad-core
Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz
750GB 5400-rpm
Intel HD Graphics 3000
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1GB GDDR5
price: $2,200

I am currently a 'one-man-show' using AC 14 on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro (2.66 GHZ dual-core, 4GB RAM), mostly for residential and other small projects.

I was not planning a hardware upgrade right now, but I was forced to, since my current notebook seems to have died (probably it will need a logic board replacement, for the 4th time!, these mid-2010 macbooks are known to have problems with their GeForce cards).

But I do plan to upgrade from AC14 to AC15, as soon as I finish old projects and start new ones.

In short, what would you prefer: 0.2 GHz more processor and 512 MB more graphic card, or 4GB more RAM and $200 more money in your pocket?
--- www.dtabach.com.br ---
AC 24 BR – MacBook Pro 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB RAM Mac OS 10.14
10 REPLIES 10
PB
Advocate
Received my nice shiny new Retina MBP on Monday ! Took my time to do a fresh install of all my software, and now up and running.....

Wow, what a step up from my trusty 2006 17"MBP. The improvement in every single aspect is blatantly obvious from the moment it is started...even areas where I was not expecting much improvement, e.g. web browsing, are so much quicker.

More importantly, AC is now performing as it should, & as I need: Editing in the 3D window is a delight, the mesh I use as a terrain no longer disappears if it undergoes too many SEOs, and opening elevations & sections is no longer an excuse to go make a cup of tea!

I'm very happy with this new laptop, and strongly recommend to all, and that's without even touching on the gorgeous screen, impeccable build quality, and elegant modern design!

The only fly in the ointment is having to sort out my MagicPrefs settings all over again for the magic mouse......
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14