BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Which version of OS X is better for AC8.1?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello... I am currently running OSX 10.2.8 with AC8.1 and I may run into a conflict with another application if I upgrade to Panther (10.3).. Does anyone know of a significant problem staying with Jaguar 10.2.8? Pros & cons? Any comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

+pablo
5 REPLIES 5
__archiben
Booster
which 'other' application will cause conflict?

for what it's worth, panther is much snappier than jaguar. i have abandoned my work desktop (10.2 dual 867Mhz) for my own laptop (10.3 800Mhz) because i'm finding it way easier and snappier to use.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Panther does seem to be faster, but it does pose some problems. ALIMHO Printing can be frustrating. Photoshop 6, classic refuses to work. 8.1 has crashed quite often on us, but do not really know if that is due to panther or if it is the fault of 8.1. Just my 2 cents worth.
Anonymous
Not applicable
>> which 'other' application will cause conflict?

Ahh well, its this German owned CAD package that competes fairly well here in the 'States on Mac platforms that some of us are still using )

I recently made "the switch", but still have ties to 'VW' that require me to spend just over half of my time in that app. I hope to recreate all of my wonderful tools and symbols that will liberate me, until then.. its stay in 10.2.8 or upgrade for $500 to VectorWorks latest version that is built for Panther.

+pablo
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been using Panther since the day it was released. The performance is far superior to Jaguar and I have found it to be more stable. I had few problems in Jaguar (aside from ArchiCAD 8.0) and NO problems so far in Panther. Combined with AC 8.1 (which is also much faster than its predecessor, and hasn't crashed yet) I am one very happy guy.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mathew; You are definetly one lucky guy. I am in charge of our small network and moved three of our computers to panther. Right now it is a love hate relationship. I hit the check for updates at least twice a day. The bump to 10.3.1 cured many ills, but as I said, Printing is absolutely an adventure. Will we wipe it out and go back, HECK NO!
Learn and get certified!